Orioles have interviewed Ned Colletti, and others

Flacco Machado

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

@Hotdiggitymakes some good points as to why Colletti might not be the guy.  But I think solely focusing on the bad deals that a GM made is a fools errand.  Gotta look at the entire body of work.  There's the Ethier trade, also need to see what players were drafted and developed under Colletti, too.  Good FA signings vs. bad FA signings.  I'm not saying @Hotdiggityhas an axe to grind but I do believe he has a knife to sharpen.

Anyway, as I've been saying on here it doesn't matter as long as Big Pete is still owning the team and Brady is somewhere near the top of the organization.  I'm happy that the Orioles are at least looking to move on and interview.   

Didn't he draft Kershaw?  Anyway if he is really in charge and has complete authority it would be an improvement. If he is just a mouthpiece and paper shuffler for the Brady and Buck two-headed GM next season we might win 20 games. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Didn't he draft Kershaw?  Anyway if he is really in charge and has complete authority it would be an improvement. If he is just a mouthpiece and paper shuffler for the Brady and Buck two-headed GM next season we might win 20 games. 

IIRC, he had to have been the GM that was there when Kershaw was drafted.  While he wasn't the scouting director, he was the one that negotiated the deal and got him in.  I think Kershaw was committed to go to a college in Texas.  

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

@Hotdiggitymakes some good points as to why Colletti might not be the guy.  But I think solely focusing on the bad deals that a GM made is a fools errand.  Gotta look at the entire body of work.  There's the Ethier trade, also need to see what players were drafted and developed under Colletti, too.  Good FA signings vs. bad FA signings.  I'm not saying @Hotdiggityhas an axe to grind but I do believe he has a knife to sharpen.

Anyway, as I've been saying on here it doesn't matter as long as Big Pete is still owning the team and Brady is somewhere near the top of the organization.  I'm happy that the Orioles are at least looking to move on and interview.   

Look, I forgot the (former O) Justin Turner signing. But as you said, you need to look at the entirety of his work, and the entirety of Colletti’s work was on the whole terrible and his best work was that of communicating to the fan base what ownership felt it wanted to hear. 

You brought up drafts. The two notable names drafted under Colletti were Kershaw and Seager. But I make 2 points on that. First, I credit almost all farm work to former Scouting Director Logan White and Farm Director DeJon Watson, both of whom were installed by 2 GM’s prior. Those guys not only nabbed Kershaw/Seager but all the names in my prior post that provided the foundation. Second, judging a GM based on drafts is a fools errand because the Rockies could have taken Kershaw instead of Greg Reynolds or the Tigers could have taken Kershaw instead of Andrew Miller. What’s not left to the scouting department is left to luck. 

1 minute ago, Hotdiggity said:

Look, I forgot the (former O) Justin Turner signing. But as you said, you need to look at the entirety of his work, and the entirety of Colletti’s work was on the whole terrible and his best work was that of communicating to the fan base what ownership felt it wanted to hear. 

You brought up drafts. The two notable names drafted under Colletti were Kershaw and Seager. But I make 2 points on that. First, I credit almost all farm work to former Scouting Director Logan White and Farm Director DeJon Watson, both of whom were installed by 2 GM’s prior. Those guys not only nabbed Kershaw/Seager but all the names in my prior post that provided the foundation. Second, judging a GM based on drafts is a fools errand because the Rockies could have taken Kershaw instead of Greg Reynolds or the Tigers could have taken Kershaw instead of Andrew Miller. What’s not left to the scouting department is left to luck. 

Drafting over a long period of time is worth looking at.  Jerry Jones drafted Troy Aikman.   But look at the entire 29 years.  Ozzie Newsome has a good draft record.   Jerry Jones not so much.  Drafting Kershaw was a no brainer, just like drafting Troy.  

21 minutes ago, Hotdiggity said:

Yeah, Justin Turner.  I don't think anyone here really saw that one panning out the way that it did.

He also signed Puig.  Are there any other moves that he made that you've conveniently forgotten? 

Your two points are somewhat invalidated due to the fact that while Colletti didn't hire White and Watson, he also didn't fire them either.  Part of the job of any manager in any industry is to figure out what's good and needs to stay vs. what's bad and needs to go when they come in the door.  Some GMs would come in, clear house and bring in their own guys.  Colletti saw something that wasn't broken so he didn't try to fix it.  Sometimes the best moves that are made are the ones that don't need to be made. 

White and Watson aren't geniuses, everyone knew that Kershaw was a top prep prospect coming out of high school.  They knew Seager was a good prospect, too.  Sure there's some luck involved in regards to who's left on the board when your turn comes up to make a selection but Colletti has some say-so in the process, too.  He's ultimately the one that's got to get the deal done and get those players into the Dodgers organization.  I know Kershaw was a college commit to a school in Texas, he could have opted into college.  Not every 1st rounder signs.  Pretty sure Seager was a college commit, too.  

30 minutes ago, Hotdiggity said:

You brought up drafts. The two notable names drafted under Colletti were Kershaw and Seager. But I make 2 points on that. First, I credit almost all farm work to former Scouting Director Logan White and Farm Director DeJon Watson, both of whom were installed by 2 GM’s prior. Those guys not only nabbed Kershaw/Seager but all the names in my prior post that provided the foundation. Second, judging a GM based on drafts is a fools errand because the Rockies could have taken Kershaw instead of Greg Reynolds or the Tigers could have taken Kershaw instead of Andrew Miller. What’s not left to the scouting department is left to luck

You forgot Dee Gordon and Ross Stripling.  But I looked at the Yankees and Red Sox drafts during the same time period and they mostly had clunker years. Seems he did pretty well and left the next GM with a lot of good players.  I don't know why you are so negative about the guy. We have a team full of DH's who can't hit.  I wish the Dodgers would start out next season 19 and 49 and then you can get back to me about how your GM is awful. 

12 minutes ago, atomic said:

You forgot Dee Gordon and Ross Stripling.  But I looked at the Yankees and Red Sox drafts during the same time period and they mostly had clunker years. Seems he did pretty well and left the next GM with a lot of good players.  I don't know why you are so negative about the guy. We have a team full of DH's who can't hit.  I wish the Dodgers would start out next season 19 and 49 and then you can get back to me about how your GM is awful. 

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, Justin Turner.  I don't think anyone here really saw that one panning out the way that it did.

He also signed Puig.  Are there any other moves that he made that you've conveniently forgotten? 

Your two points are somewhat invalidated due to the fact that while Colletti didn't hire White and Watson, he also didn't fire them either.  Part of the job of any manager in any industry is to figure out what's good and needs to stay vs. what's bad and needs to go when they come in the door.  Some GMs would come in, clear house and bring in their own guys.  Colletti saw something that wasn't broken so he didn't try to fix it.  Sometimes the best moves that are made are the ones that don't need to be made. 

White and Watson aren't geniuses, everyone knew that Kershaw was a top prep prospect coming out of high school.  They knew Seager was a good prospect, too.  Sure there's some luck involved in regards to who's left on the board when your turn comes up to make a selection but Colletti has some say-so in the process, too.  He's ultimately the one that's got to get the deal done and get those players into the Dodgers organization.  I know Kershaw was a college commit to a school in Texas, he could have opted into college.  Not every 1st rounder signs.  Pretty sure Seager was a college commit, too.  

Like I said in my first post. By all means, have Ned Colletti. You discount my opinion because I’m a Dodger fan and don’t think I follow the O’s (I do). That’s fine. If you think switching out a bucket of 100% crap with a bucket filled with 90% crap makes the org that much better, then again, by all means. But to me a bucket of $hit is still a bucket of $hit no matter how high it’s piled. 

Paraphrasing here. From The Best Team Money Can Buy by Molly Knight. In 2012 the Dodgers were bought by new owners. A ton on Colletti  

-Jeff Kent recommended Colletti to prior Dodgers ownership.  Four months after he was hired Colletti offered the 38 year old Kent an 8 figure extension.  

-When Walter bought the Dodgers the analytics department was one person. “Colletti preferred cowboy boots to calculators.”

-Damage done by McCourt-previous owner  made it difficult for the new Dodgers ownership to to evaluate him.  Direct line from Knight- “McCourt’s thriftiness had limited Colletti’s options”. 

5 minutes ago, Hotdiggity said:

Like I said in my first post. By all means, have Ned Colletti. You discount my opinion because I’m a Dodger fan and don’t think I follow the O’s (I do). That’s fine. If you think switching out a bucket of 100% crap with a bucket filled with 90% crap makes the org that much better, then again, by all means. 

I never really discounted your opinion, just pointed out a key signing that he made which you conveniently forgot, proved to you that he made a good move by keeping the scouting directors you have a man-crush on and didn't once bring up the fact that you're a Dodger fan.  I'm not discounting all the bad moves he made, you brought up some good examples but it's obvious that you do have an axe to grind.

But it's cool if that frustrates you and that's how you want to end the conversation.  Good talk.

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, Hotdiggity said:

Like I said in my first post. By all means, have Ned Colletti. You discount my opinion because I’m a Dodger fan and don’t think I follow the O’s (I do). That’s fine. If you think switching out a bucket of 100% crap with a bucket filled with 90% crap makes the org that much better, then again, by all means. 

All those winning seasons must be tiresome.  No real issues to complain about so you make them up.   He also drafted Cody Bellinger last years Rookie of the Year.  So he drafted the last two NL rookies of the year and a 3 time Cy Young Award winner who are all currently on the team? Bring him over her.  Bring his scouts too.  The last time the Dodgers were bad were the year before he arrived.  Get back to me when the Dodgers have 14 straight losing seasons. 

More from book

-Colletti was loath to throw rookies into pennant races 

- Many players viewed him as a bully. 

-Knack for identifying cheap relievers 

-restraint in dealing prospects

-only young player he dealt who turned into a star was Carlos Santana

-signed Jason Schmidt to a 3/47 deal despite a bad MRI. Played in only 10 games. Frustration with Colletti over infatuation with former Giants players. Colletti was assistant GM in SF before LA.  

Ned Colletti to me would be just more of the same. He's an older GM out of baseball who the game has passed by. I want the Orioles to hire their Cashman or Epstein. A young guy ready to make a name for himself. 

Collette would be just Dan Duquette part 2. Brady' s puppet 

16 minutes ago, atomic said:

All those winning seasons must be tiresome.  No real issues to complain about so you make them up.   He also drafted Cody Bellinger last years Rookie of the Year.  So he drafted the last two NL rookies of the year and a 3 time Cy Young Award winner who are all currently on the team? Bring him over her.  Bring his scouts too.  The last time the Dodgers were bad were the year before he arrived.  Get back to me when the Dodgers have 14 straight losing seasons. 

He is like any another GM for any other team. He is limited in what he can do by ownership. 

There is a bunch more from the book but I doubt I have time to get to it today. I will add one more 

-The new Dodgers ownership pushed to sign Ethier because they viewed it as a goodwill signing to the fan base. 

Basically when McCourt sold the Dodgers in 2012 the new ownership did not change Colletti because they felt it was hard to judge the man due to how McCourt ran the team. 

It’s funny, somehow DD is suppose to overcome the Angelos’ shortcomings. The issue as usual is how the franchise is operated. Colletti is not going to change how things are done around here. If he is hired he will just take over and try to do his best just like DD and will have to navigate his way through the Angelos way of doing business.  

Archived