Orioles Ratings Down 50%

weams

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I left the area in '08 and this is the first year I didn't spring for the TV EI or mobile MLB package. I watch some if they're on a national broadcast (July 4) or yesterday when they were "local". 

21 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

What does this have to do with ratings?  ?

Well, ratings equals $$.  As does attendance.  And since their payroll is over $150M, that's BAD.  So, due to the RATINGS downturn, I expect to see a corresponding downturn in PAYROLL.

See, it all relates nicely.

Just now, esmd said:

Well, ratings equals $$.  As does attendance.  And since their payroll is over $150M, that's BAD.  So, due to the RATINGS downturn, I expect to see a corresponding downturn in PAYROLL.

See, it all relates nicely.

Ratings has little to do with $$. The rate that MASN charges cable companies to carry MASN is where the real money is. Ratings themselves are a rounding error as they basically only affect what MASN advertisers are willing to pay to reach potential customers. Attendance is somewhat more important, but the carriage rate is the biggest factor and that is always declining as more and more people abandon traditional cable plans.

As an aside, the original post is misleading saying that MLB ratings are down overall. They aren't, at least not significantly so per the article, overall ratings are steady.

I don't really watch more than an inning here or there. If they are down a lot I don't watch at all.  If it is close I might watch the last couple of innings.  I can't watch until the 8:30 at the earliest anyway as my daughter is up until at least then.  If they start playing better or they bring some prospects up I might watch more but why should I watch when they are losing every day just to see Chris Davis strike out or the poor defensive play. 

If they could at least play average defense they wouldn't be so hard to watch.  The position players are terrible.  Even Machado sucks at defense.  No one to root for at all other than Britton. 

Luckily MASN gets cable subscriber fees even if no one is watching a game. 

I wonder where the MLB.TV subscriptions fit in the overall ratings -- since I can watch them on MASN from the app.

As a far away O's fan, I subscribe automatically each spring. And I anticipated this year would be uphill, but not this debacle. Despite all that, I tend to watch even more games when they are this far gone. I look for who is still going all out, which players are still competing and who has given up. I like the grit and hustle on a team -- when they show it -- even being completely out of it already. The 4-4 record and effort during the last eight has shown a bit of a spark compared to the pervious month. Not enough, but again, it is always interesting to me who competes when it is this bad.

1 hour ago, cheecks said:

Last Friday or Saturday against Texas I caught the game on Fox and was shocked to the see the stadium full. Anyone have an explanation or was I just seeing things?

Saturday night. Great weather and it was Maryland flag jersey giveaway night. 

I was there and it was the only home game I'll be at this year. I'm glad I chose that game, since it was a win and it was nice to have a solid crowd.

I bet some people figured they'd go to one game around now (maybe to watch Manny etc once more before they go) and chose that night because of the weather and giveaway. Seemed to me like Manny, Jones, and Britton got bigger ovations than usual compared to the rest of the team. 

Who wants to watch this team? I mean, I want to get excited about next year, but it's tough. I wanted to watch Sisco -- oops. I'm waiting for Mullins. 

MLB has to do away with the no in-network streaming. It's not good business. It doesn't make people go to the park. 

2 hours ago, cheecks said:

Last Friday or Saturday against Texas I caught the game on Fox and was shocked to the see the stadium full. Anyone have an explanation or was I just seeing things?

Good weather summer weekend games will draw fairly well no matter what.

3 hours ago, Dipper9 said:

I still watch every day, but I am one of a dying breed. 

There have been many years where I watched most games and we sucked but not this year. I went to both games at Citi Field this year and saw more innings that day than Ive seen all season combined.  I still am a huge fan, nearly all gifts I receive are Os themed, I still read news, I check the score, watch Manny highlights or anything exceptional on the app but other than that I just can't turn it on. 

You are stronger than I Dipper! 

I also can't remember the last full O's game that I watched. it was probably early to mid-May. I've watched parts of games since then, but probably zero in the last month to five weeks. If they trade some players and play more rookies/young players, then I will watch more in the second half. If they do little and play pretty much the same roster, then I'm sure I will continue to find better things to do. 

5 hours ago, McLovin said:

I've watched no more than 2 hours of Orioles baseball this year, and most of that was on Opening Day. I probably averaged 2 hours per GAME the prior 20 years. This team and leadership has literally sucked the baseball life out of me.

Shame to hear. 

Archived