Manny Machado Appreciation Thread

TonySoprano

Yeah, it's jumping the gun, but by many accounts, the o-fficial sendoff will be this week.   

The first time I met Dan Duquette, it was at a Press Box event in early 2013.  I mentioned to him that perhaps in the prior front office, they wouldn't have started the clock on Manny just yet.  Dan simply said, "He was ready."  

I submit that bringing up Manny in August 2012 was the sign from management to the team that we were going for it this year.  The Wilson Betemit era was coming to an end. (insert Tom Hanks screaming, "Willlssssssonnn.  I'm sorry Wilson!")

The Orioles were 60-51 through August 8, and 33-18 with Manny on the roster after that.   They battled NY through September and the season ended losing on game 5 of the division series vs. those same Yankees.  It was a bitter end, but the 14 year losing streak was over, and thus began the brief renaissance of Orioles baseball

The next season saw Manny playing 3B better than anyone in an Orioles uniform since Brooks Robinson retired.  Manny won his first Gold Glove and the Platinum Glove that year.  The number of highlights he made with the glove and bat the past 6 seasons could fill a feature length movie.

I really regret that this is where we are with Manny.  Although very few players stay with the same team their career anymore, Manny's one that I wish could've held that distinction.  I hold no delusions that the Orioles will reach out to him this offseason for a reunion.

Is there one play or one at bat that stands out to you?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

“Don’t throw it away....don’t throw it at all!!! “     It would have been an incredibly  heady play for a veteran player, and almost inconceivable for a 19-year old with a month of major league experience.    And, I was there, along with a couple dozen Hangouters.    Unbelievable.     

I’m really going to miss watching him play.    He’s a very special athlete.   

5 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Yeah, it's jumping the gun, but by many accounts, the o-fficial sendoff will be this week.   

The first time I met Dan Duquette, it was at a Press Box event in early 2013.  I mentioned to him that perhaps in the prior front office, they wouldn't have started the clock on Manny just yet.  Dan simply said, "He was ready."  

I submit that bringing up Manny in August 2012 was the sign from management to the team that we were going for it this year.  The Wilson Betemit era was coming to an end. (insert Tom Hanks screaming, "Willlssssssonnn.  I'm sorry Wilson!")

The Orioles were 60-51 through August 8, and 33-18 with Manny on the roster.   They battled NY through September and the season ended losing on game 5 of the division series vs. those same Yankees.  It was a bitter end, but the 14 year losing streak was over, and thus began the brief renaissance of Orioles baseball

The next season saw Manny playing 3B better than anyone in an Orioles uniform since Brooks Robinson retired.  Manny won his first Gold Glove and the Platinum Glove that year.  The number of highlights he made with the glove and bat the past 6 seasons could fill a feature length movie.

I really regret that this is where we are with Manny.  Although very few players stay with the same team their career anymore, Manny's one that I wish could've held that distinction.  I hold no delusions that the Orioles will reach out to him this offseason for a reunion.

Damn T, jumping the gun is an understatement.  lol

The two plays that stick in my mind is the grab down the line that took him into the visitors dugout and he still threw the guy out at first, and the other being fielding the grounder, faking the throw to first, then twirling around and nailing the runner rounding the bag at third.  Both unforgettable.  Offensively, I remember his three home runs in three innings from a year ago.  

But unfortunately, as great as Manny is, I remember the hot dogging, temper tantrums, and laziness more-so than any of his gifted skills on the field, and I am ashamed of myself for allowing the negativity to come forward, but I think of Manny as a selfish ballplayer more than anything else. 

13 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Damn T, jumping the gun is an understatement.  lol

The two plays that stick in my mind is the grab down the line that took him into the visitors dugout and he still threw the guy out at first, and the other being fielding the grounder, faking the throw to first, then twirling around and nailing the runner rounding the bag at third.  Both unforgettable.  Offensively, I remember his three home runs in three innings from a year ago.  

But unfortunately, as great as Manny is, I remember the hot dogging, temper tantrums, and laziness more-so than any of his gifted skills on the field, and I am ashamed of myself for allowing the negativity to come forward, but I think of Manny as a selfish ballplayer more than anything else. 

Is there a reason we wait to appreciate someone until after they're gone? 

Maybe this protracted and inevitable farewell needs to end soonest for all concerned.  I'll be a lot more sentimental about him leaving than you it seems.  Selfish is what you'll remember most?
giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Is there a reason we wait to appreciate someone until after they're gone? 

Maybe this protracted and inevitable farewell needs to end soonest for all concerned.  I'll be a lot more sentimental about him leaving than you it seems.  Selfish is what you'll remember most?
giphy.gif

Hahaha.  The Dude!

I'll say this.  I appreciate his skills.  I root for him as an Oriole.  But I also see the cockiness and its not something I like in an athlete (although I freely admit the very best of the best HAVE TO have that cockiness as a trait.)  

I still marvel at it.  I jumped off my couch when he did it.  You'll never see a play like that again.

Thorne's call is great, but after Thorne says "Don't throw it away..." you hear Palmer just go "Ohh!" which is amazing because Palmer is rarely amazed by anything.  And then he just says "Woooow..."

32 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Without a doubt. Nats stadium circa Sept. 2015.  8th inning, O's down by 1 in a tough fought game. On 3-2 count, Manny crushed a Sherzer fastball about 450 feet to take the lead and win the game. Indirectly led to  Papelbon choking Bryce Harper in the Nats dugout a couple games later.  Sweet, sweet memories.

20 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Is there a reason we wait to appreciate someone until after they’re gone?
giphy.gif

Don’t it always seem as though

You don’t know what you’ve got ‘till it’s gone?

That’s going to apply in spades to a lot of folks around here, IMO.

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“Don’t throw it away....don’t throw it at all!!! “     It would have been an incredibly  heady play for a veteran player, and almost inconceivable for a 19-year old with a month of major league experience.    And, I was there, along with a couple dozen Hangouters.    Unbelievable.     

We'll always remember Manny for "don't throw it away - don't throw it at all!" At least I will. Unbelievable play in O's history. 

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I still marvel at it.  I jumped off my couch when he did it.  You'll never see a play like that again.

Thorne's call is great, but after Thorne says "Don't throw it away..." you hear Palmer just go "Ohh!" which is amazing because Palmer is rarely amazed by anything.  And then he just says "Woooow..."

Even watching it now, knowing what’s going to happen, it’s amazing.  

Ah, 2012...that was one sweet season.   And having Manny come up and amaze was one of the sweetest parts.   

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, for me it's this one.  The 3 HR game in Chicago was something to behold as well, as are the multiple plays and throws we've seen him make, the majority from 3B.

I've enjoyed watching him these last 5-6 years.  He truly is a generational talent.  I don't blame the O's for not signing him to a be a lifetime, or at least long-term Oriole, just because it takes two to tango, and I don't think Manny was interested in signing to stay here.  That's fine, it's his right, even though it disappoints me as an O's fan.  I would've rather seen him dealt over the winter and avoided all this drama hanging over this season, but it is what it is, and Manny has handled it professionally.  Damn shame he's not going to be the next great career Oriole like Cal and Brooks, but it is what it is.

Archived