Orioles to be more active in International Free Agent Market

NCRaven

I agree that the Marlins trading for more money is (kind of) a good sign actually.  It means VVM isn't just going to go to MIA for peanuts.  It means they couldn't get it done without that extra cash.

So it appears that he expects to be well paid, he's in it for the money.   And if money is all that you love.........that's what you'll receive.          Hopefully from us.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

It has been reported that the Marlins were close to the Orioles in money, and perhaps this latest deal puts them ahead.  Why give the Marlins the opportunity to raise more money instead of taking what the Orioles already had?

I'm not one to make excuses for the FO or ownership.

Just now, Aglets said:

I agree that the Marlins trading for more money is (kind of) a good sign actually.  It means VVM isn't just going to go to MIA for peanuts.  It means they couldn't get it done without that extra cash.

So it appears that he expects to be well paid, he's in it for the money.   And if money is all that you love.........that's what you'll receive.          Hopefully from us.

Except it doesn't look like the O's are willing to further increase their pool allotment.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Except it doesn't look like the O's are willing to further increase their pool allotment.

Didn't they max it out?    The rules only allow you to increase your pool by some percentage.......I thought we had basically hit it.

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Didn't they max it out?    The rules only allow you to increase your pool by some percentage.......I thought we had basically hit it.

The O's?  No they didn't max it.  If they had the Marlins would never have been able to catch up since they have spent more than the O's.

51 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I can't explain the Phillies deal, either, but I don't understand that it was done as a favor to make up for the Jones trade,. Everyone knew that Adam had the right to refuse to be traded, so I don't understand how his decision to exercise that right created any expectation that the Orioles owed the Phillies a favor. Just doesn't make sense to me.  

As others have said, DD might have thought they had enough to get the Mesa's without it.

Also, the deal happened right about the time that it was determined that Trumbo was choosing surgery and out for the year.   Is it POSSIBLE that we had a deal lined up where we were going to toss in some international$ with Trumbo to unload his contract on someone?   But his decision to have surgery nixed that possibility?

Just putting it out there, the timing works out.   Trumbo didn't announce his decision to have surgery until a day or two after the Zoellner deal, but he could have told the Orioles, or it could have become obvious to the Orioles' doctors, that he was going to have the surgery.

10 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Orioles needed to go all out to sign the Mesa brothers and wow them.  Unless they have kept this quiet there is no evidence of this happening.

If the Marlins offer is close to the Orioles offer the Mesa brothers are choosing the Marlins every time.  

I would disagree. The Marlins' action strongly suggests that the Orioles have made a strong bid and the Marlins are being forced to come up with more money. 

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

I know we are all frustrated with the Orioles, but the Marlins are trading for additional money. This is not the fault of the Orioles. 

The Marlins spent on July 2.

At that point the O's had more money than the Marlins.

With a hard cap in place the O's, if they wanted, could have offered more money than the Marlins.

If they don't than it falls on the Orioles.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If played correctly the Marlins would have never been able to offer more than the Orioles.

If money was the overriding issue the O's could have won.

The Marlins could have acquired $10.544 Million

The Orioles were limited to $9.633 Million

So yeah they could offer more.

OK so I dunno how up to date this all is.

But the O's started in a pool with about $5.5M.

According to an early August Sun article:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-slots-201808xx-20180802-story.html

We added 2.75M from our Gausman and Brach trades.   I'm not sure if we've added more since then or not?

The maximum we can increase by MLB is 75 percent of the original amount, so that's an extra 4.125M or so.     So maybe there's another 1.375M or so that we could add.......maybe.

Seems to me that $8.25M  (minus whatever commits we've made so far) should be enough to get it done.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Marlins spent on July 2.

At that point the O's had more money than the Marlins.

With a hard cap in place the O's, if they wanted, could have offered more money than the Marlins.

If they don't than yes, this falls on the Orioles.

The Mesas were not declared free agents until September 14th. What does July 2nd have to do with anything? The Mesa's agents are not idiots. They were never going to jump at the first official offer they could receive on September 14th. It seems the agents are doing a great job of maximizing the amount of money they are going to get. If the Marlins want to keep making trades to get their maximum amount, then there's nothing the Orioles can do to block them. At some point just throwing as much money as possible at these prospects is dumb. 

p.s. I'm not defending the Orioles prior stupidity in the international market, the idiot move of trading away international dollars recently, etc. I was commenting on a post saying way to go Orioles to the news of this most recent Marlins trade. 

Archived