Orioles to be more active in International Free Agent Market

NCRaven

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Have we even announced a signing at the 300k level?  The Yankees have like 30 of those guys signed the last time I saw a list. That’s means that we’re already behind for this year, even if we do sign Mesa. We have $5.5 million to spend in international slot money and there isn’t really too many guys left to spend it on. 

It’s over 8M now after the Brach and Gausman trades. They were never going to be players to sign the top 16 year olds in this year’s period, those players already had deals in place for the most part. VVM is likely going to get cleared in Sept/Oct and I’d expect a few names to trickle out between now and then. 

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Can this money be used for Asian players?  If so, who are the top unsigned prospects there.  Do all foreign players have to be signed with intl slot money now?  By what date do we have to spend our 8 mil+?

Sure, if they qualify.

No idea, most go play in one of their own leagues.  When the O's signed that 16 yr old Korean things didn't turn out so well.

No, some are free agents, like Kim was.

July 1st 2019, give or take a day.

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If there is one spot where the O's can hold their own or even have the advantage is Curacao.

I completely agree. One would think the Orioles would also be able to hold their own in Aruba because of Maduro. While I recognize it isn’t necessarily a hotbed of talent (I can’t think of any current major leaguers other than Boegarts), I am not aware of anyone the organization has signed from Aruba since Wernet.

37 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I haven’t seen this confirmed anywhere, but I saw the following tweet indicating that the Orioles had signed a 16 year old from Curaçao:

Can't wait to see how Gary Thorne pronounces that name. 

26 minutes ago, Why Not? said:

Can't wait to see how Gary Thorne pronounces that name. 

lol. I just hope he doesn't even try. When he wants to say his name, I hope Thorne just takes a loud sip of his Jack Daniels. We'll just hear the ice rattling against the glass as he sits it down and know what he means.

15 minutes ago, theocean said:

lol. I just hope he doesn't even try. When he wants to say his name, I hope Thorne just takes a loud sip of his Jack Daniels. We'll just hear the ice rattling against the glass as he sits it down and know what he means.

Brockmire style.

Archived