Orioles to be more active in International Free Agent Market

NCRaven

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Duquette looking more and more like a chump for sending 750k to the Phillies. Beyond idiotic.

2 hours ago, Chromehill said:

The only way it makes sense if DD was told by mgmt. that they would not be willing to spend the actual full amount of dollars allocated to the international signing pool.  In that case, use it or lose it.  Still gave up too much free money for a guy who was probably going to be released. 

Seriously.  7.5 K of the international money allotment?  I could see it.  750k?  Someone was seriously fleeced. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Eh.

If and this is an if, VVM is a 1.5-2 win player as projected than the O's full maximum allotment would still be a bargain if he performs as projected.  That is 14-15M in production per year.

Cost controlled league average talent is just insanely valuable.

Sure. But at some point the cost to probability of getting 1.5 war ratio says move on. I’m sure good organizations have statistical, probabilistic models to help with these decisions.  Hopefully the Orioles will in the future. 

...and this is what happens when a club is clueless about how to handle a market they've had no presence or experience in for a long ti......... ever.

I've mentioned it before.  When the owners say that they are going to do this or that, ok.  But when missteps occur, like trading the Phillies international money, it just shows the depth of their misunderstanding, especially if the intention was to land the guy after accumulating the money.

Who knows?  It could all amount to nothing.  I'm not a scout.  I don't know the whole book on the Mesas.  Maybe the plan was to get the top guys after Mesa, but it is still a market we're jumping into with both feet after having no presence there.  To me, that's like jumping into Penny Stocks with a basic understanding of Algebra.  Doesn't make a ton of sense to me...

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

Sure. But at some point the cost to probability of getting 1.5 war ratio says move on. I’m sure good organizations have statistical, probabilistic models to help with these decisions.  Hopefully the Orioles will in the future. 

Sure, but since spending is capped at under 10 million that point is only reached if the players that they would have to trade for the additional slot money were too valuable.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

They can sign the pitcher.

But at what cost?

Well, they could offer him the 2M the Marlins originally offered him. They could throw 4+ at Jr if they wanted. They could make it nearly impossible for the Marlins to get all 3 players if they wanted to. They could split the 6.7 down the middle for example if they want to overpay. (I'm not suggesting they do this). I'm confident the Marlins end up with all 3.

1 hour ago, Malike said:

Well, they could offer him the 2M the Marlins originally offered him. They could throw 4+ at Jr if they wanted. They could make it nearly impossible for the Marlins to get all 3 players if they wanted to. They could split the 6.7 down the middle for example if they want to overpay. (I'm not suggesting they do this). I'm confident the Marlins end up with all 3.

The Orioles could give it all to Victor Victor. 

At some point, you offer your max amount, put a 24 h limit on it and they either take it or just publically announce you are done and stop this letting them use us as the village idiots for leverage with tne team that they clearly want to sign with.  

Archived