Orioles to be more active in International Free Agent Market

NCRaven

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Why should the players be in a hurry?    They can take their sweet time and let the teams trade for as much slot money as they’re allowed to get and then play one off against the other.    It’s in their interest to be patient.   

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm surprised more top international free agents don't do this.  If you're 16 years old, and a top 30 international free agent, what's the rush to sign right away.  I'm guessing that often there is an under the table payment to family and/or friends to get them to sign.  1 million is a ton of money to someone from a poor country (and most people in the US). It might be the only money these guys ever see if they don't make the majors.  If they can wait a month or two and get a 3 million signing bonus it makes sense.  

If your 16 and never had a dime I think signing as quickly as possible is probably what most would do.  You can help your family as well. 

1 hour ago, Dark Helmet said:

So I heard today it's possible that whichever of the 3 isn't able to sign with Miami Now, will just wait until July when the money re-sets itself for every team.

Well that makes zero sense unless the Orioles aren't interested in bidding on any of them.  When every team's money re-sets there will also be a ton more players that are available and a lot of them will be better than they are. 

2 hours ago, atomic said:

I am talking about Gaston  and Mesa JR.  I am sure what you mean by "too".  

No, you were putting down the players Miami traded because they were young, essentially saying their youth meant Miami didn't give up much.

And I pointed out that MesaJr and Gaston were young too.

"I am guessing you haven't a clue as to whom the Marlins have given up.  The last two guys traded where a 17 and 19 year old playing in the Domincan.  They gave up a guy who struggled in high A at age 22

In the biggest haul of money they traded a reliever who is up for arbitration next year whom they probably didn't want to pay anyway.  The guy was sub-replacement level this year. 

Really if you are going to make a post like you just did you could spend the time to actually see what the Marlins traded. Otherwise you are just wasting everyone's time reading your post.

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

No, you were putting down the players Miami traded because they were young, essentially saying their youth meant Miami didn't give up much.

And I pointed out that MesaJr and Gaston were young too.

The poster said something about he didn't want the Orioles to give up all of AA to get these guys.  These guys haven't risen above Domincan Summer League yet.

The Orioles got the International money for Brach and we gave up 750k of it to get some 59 year old guy in rookie ball.  

You don't need to move one of your top 30 prospects to get slot money.  Its not like the other teams are going to use the slots now anyway. 

Archived