Orioles to be more active in International Free Agent Market

NCRaven

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

How does letting someone without major league ability play in the majors work against them?

If you are coming in from another country and have a choice of the team you pick, would you pick the team that basically changed the entire landscape for a countryman or the team that has a following from your original country and a better history with international free agents??

32 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

If you are coming in from another country and have a choice of the team you pick, would you pick the team that basically changed the entire landscape for a countryman or the team that has a following from your original country and a better history with international free agents??

Change entire landscape?

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

What other reason is there to make that trade?

How do I know?   But the narrative that the trade was dictated by ownership isn’t very plausible IMO and there’s been no reporting that this was the reason — so I don’t want people reading these posts to get the impression that it’s a reported fact.   It often happens here that theories get repeated a few times here and then readers start assuming that we’re discussing something that’s established as a fact, when it’s not.    

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

I was told up and down here by a few posters, can't remember who, that preferring Miami was silly, something along the lines of "Well if they wanted to play in front of Cuban fans, why not just stay in Cuba?"  I was also told that money is what mattered the most and since the Orioles had more money than anyone, they'd come to Baltimore.

When I saw that the owner of their agency was this guy:

marc-anthony-2018-cr-Alan-Silken-billboa

And that his agency is based in Miami, it was all over.  Orioles didn't stand a chance.

Again, is this guy....

marc-anthony-cover-preview-main.jpg?w=12.....going to let his players have anything to do with Baltimore?  Does this dude look like a guy who can find Baltimore on a map?  F no.  Him and Pit Bull just wanna hit the clubs on South Beach every night.  

The Orioles didn't stand a chance here, period.  Probably will blow it with Gaston, too.  No GM yet.  Maybe Brady should stop lifting weights and try to call someone to see if he can put an offer in.  For all his involving with signings over the past couple years, having a given amount of international money and one guy to focus it on seems like a layup.  But this franchise is back to being a dumpster fire.  Not just any dumpster fire, the biggest, stupidest dumpster fire you've ever seen.

13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It was about the money.  And it was about playing in Miami.

But mostly about money. 

12 hours ago, Barnaby Graves said:

This franchise is a dumpster fire.

And yet for the first time ever...you are hanging on the Orioles involvement in interns signings. Be positive. If you don’t play the lottery you can’t win. And if you play you really can’t expect to win. 

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

$5M total for the Mesa brothers.  The Orioles and Marlins have more than that in their international pools.  This goes to show that it wasn't an issue of Baltimore not having enough money, and the Zoellner trade made zero difference in all of this. 
They preferred Miami.  Period.

Roch - http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/10/orioles-wont-sign-the-mesa-brothers.html

Tony, this is partially true. Zoellner made no difference. I agree. But the first part we really don’t know. Yes Baltimore HAD enough money to beat the Marlins offer. But did they?  I do not know, but is it not possible we offered the brothers 4M?

which brings us to the last point in your post...that they simply preferred Miami. Well I have no doubt that did. But you imply that they chose Miami over money. Again. We just don’t know that. 

4 minutes ago, foxfield said:

But mostly about money. 

And yet for the first time ever...you are hanging on the Orioles involvement in interns signings. Be positive. If you don’t play the lottery you can’t win. And if you play you really can’t expect to win. 

Tony, this is partially true. Zoellner made no difference. I agree. But the first part we really don’t know. Yes Baltimore HAD enough money to beat the Marlins offer. But did they?  I do not know, but is it not possible we offered the brothers 4M?

which brings us to the last point in your post...that they simply preferred Miami. Well I have no doubt that did. But you imply that they chose Miami over money. Again. We just don’t know that. 

Well, if the Orioles didn't offer more, they're stupid.  Can we agree on that?

I am starting to wonder if they were going to spend this money at all. I wonder if the plan all along was to cut the budget as low as possible to get the team ready to sell.

Getting Mesa would have been nice, but its 6 mil they would have had to spend, and the goal might be to not spend another dime until this team is gutted and sold.

My guess is that Givens, Bundy, Cashner, and Cobb will be pushed hard this offseason in trade talks.  We might not even get much back, it could all be salary dumps at this point.  I also wonder if they are in talks with Davis on a buyout already.  

If this is the case, then I can't be too bummed on all these non-moves because we could be free from the Angelos' by the start of next season.

1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

I am starting to wonder if they were going to spend this money at all. I wonder if the plan all along was to cut the budget as low as possible to get the team ready to sell.

Getting Mesa would have been nice, but its 6 mil they would have had to spend, and the goal might be to not spend another dime until this team is gutted and sold.

My guess is that Givens, Bundy, Cashner, and Cobb will be pushed hard this offseason in trade talks.  We might not even get much back, it could all be salary dumps at this point.  I also wonder if they are in talks with Davis on a buyout already.  

If this is the case, then I can't be too bummed on all these non-moves because we could be free from the Angelos' by the start of next season.

If they traded for this money with no intention of spending it,  it might be the stupidest move the Orioles have ever made and that's saying a lot.  

If the Orioles are somehow sold, it'll be a miracle.  

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

I already agree they may be stupid. But I was just pointing out I haven’t seen that they turned down more money. Just that they signed for more than we could have offered. 

No, it's ok.  Just say it with me, it's cathartic.  It feels good.

Take a deep breath, hold it for 10 seconds and let it go.  And just say it out loud.  Doesn't matter who's around, they'll probably understand.

The Orioles are stupid.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, if the Orioles didn't offer more, they're stupid.  Can we agree on that?

I’ll be radical and say no.   It depends how good they think the Mesa brothers are.    But the market value of many international players is far below their actual value due to the artificial spending limits.    

Archived