John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

11 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yep. Seems like he had a chance right there. And ‘uproot his family’? It’s three months if the acquiring team makes it through to the WS. 

Well with school starting in a few weeks maybe that's what he is thinking about. 

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His family is going to be uprooted regardless when he leaves in Free Agency.  I'm not sure what the big deal is about doing it three months earlier.  Kids are off school until September so it's a better time than doing it in the middle of the Fall.  

Maybe he thinks Baltimore will resign him.  

Just now, ChuckS said:

His family is going to be uprooted regardless when he leaves in Free Agency.  I'm not sure what the big deal is about doing it three months earlier.  Kids are off school until September so it's a better time than doing it in the middle of the Fall.  

Or his family can just stay while he plays somewhere else for three months.

Lots of jobs require that sort of sacrifice.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or his family can just stay while he plays somewhere else for three months.

Lots of jobs require that sort of sacrifice.

Yeah, that's probably the normal thing to do in that situation.  I'm sure they could spend a lot of the summer visiting at whatever his new destination.  Especially somewhere like Philly.  Easy drive.  

Unfathomable to me how a player like him would rather play on a rebuilding team on pace to lose 120 than go to a contender.  

Just now, ChuckS said:

Yeah, that's probably the normal thing to do in that situation.  I'm sure they could spend a lot of the summer visiting at whatever his new destination.  Especially somewhere like Philly.  Easy drive.  

Unfathomable to me how a player like him would rather play on a rebuilding team on pace to lose 120 than go to a contender.  

Folks have different priorities.  That is why I was saying all along that trading Jones wasn't a sure thing.  I expected him to put up a roadblock.

18 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I really don't see the problem he didn't show for some autograph session.  No big deal in my opinion. 

Maybe try to empathize with the parents of a kid who was told Jones would be there to sign and then didn’t show. 

Maybe he wants the O's to make a QO or team friendly extension. Live in Cal's house for another year, etc. We know he had dinner with John recently.

In any case, it's his prerogative. We wouldn't get much more than a C prospect so this is okay with me.

36 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

If I was his age and wanted to win, it's not hard to figure out. They have hotels in other Cities.

I guess some people care more about being with their families than others.  

28 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Maybe he thinks they won't and wants to enjoy the rest of the season with  the fans.  I am not sure why anyone would be against a player wanting to stay with the team.  He earned the right.  We aren't going to get a top prospect for him and it would be mostly to save salary.  

28 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Pure speculation, but maybe he is refusing the trade because he thinks Baltimore WON'T resign him. If he thought he would be resigned, it makes all the sense in the world to go spend three months chasing the playoffs, while helping the Orioles get back a prospect (probably a mediocre one, but still). 

You don't need a "proper goodbye" if you plan on being back in 2019...

33 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I agree 100%. Going back to Mora, he said the same thing. At the end of winter he signed with the Rockies and the next year with the Diamondbacks, both more than driving distance from Baltimore in a few hours.

Plus Adam has 10-5 rights and can pick the team he can go to.

Also I do not think this helps him to resign here unless it is real cheap.

I think some people just hate all the players.  They want them all traded. When someone wants to stay they want them gone.  It is more than 3 months.  If Jones stays with the team and sign with a new team in free agency it wouldn't have to be in the new city until April.  

Archived