What does the 2021 White Board look like?

sportsfan8703

Watching us trade Manny and Britton away made me think of the story about how the Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak couldn’t erase Kobe’s name off the white board because it had been there so long. So we’re definitely rebuilding , and 2021 seemed like a good year for us to “contend” again. So here we are as of now, 

SP:  Cobb, Hall, Tate, Harvey, Akin

Lowther, Kremer, Wells, Akin, Rodriguez, Knight, Bishop, Baumann, Hanifee, Ramirez, Dietz, Means, Hess, Rogers

BP:  Givens, Castro, Bleier, Carroll, Pop, Scott, Kline

1B: Mountcastle, Mancini

2B: Hall, Palmeiro

3B: Bannon, Nunez 

SS: Grenier, Breyva

LF: Diaz, Stewart

CF: Mullins, McKenna 

RF: Hays, Santander

Catcher: Sisco, Wynns

As you can see we really lack options/depth in the infield and at C. Our #1 (SS, B. Witt) pick next year should be a factor on the 2021 team.  I think this list really points out why we should trade Gausman, Bundy, and Schoop. Maybe not right now if we can’t get a good deal, but they won’t be here in 2021 unless we spend a lot of money.  Trading Gausman and Schoop this deadline makes sense. Givens and Bundy should go at next year’s deadline.  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems about right. I like the fact that they're stockpiling prospects with these deals. If we can get a few more of those type of trades (possibly for guys like Trumbo, Gausman, Givens, Valencia, etc), I think we'll be in pretty good shape long term. It's just that we have to be fully committed to the rebuild process, and hopefully replicate something like what Houston did.

37 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Watching us trade Manny and Britton away made me think of the story about how the Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak couldn’t erase Kobe’s name off the white board because it had been there so long. So we’re definitely rebuilding , and 2021 seemed like a good year for us to “contend” again. So here we are as of now, 

Lowther, Kremer, Wells, Akin, Rodriguez, Knight, Bishop, Baumann, Hanifee, Ramirez, Dietz, Means, Hess, Rogers

As you can see we really lack options/depth in the infield and at C. Our #1 (SS, B. Witt) pick next year should be a factor on the 2021 team.  I think this list really points out why we should trade Gausman, Bundy, and Schoop. Maybe not right now if we can’t get a good deal, but they won’t be here in 2021 unless we spend a lot of money.  Trading Gausman and Schoop this deadline makes sense. Givens and Bundy should go at next year’s deadline.  

I think it's really too early to tell. I think by 2021 there will be more trades that bring in better prospects. Some of the players you listed above will probably have fizzled out. You have to figure the O's will sign some free agents at some point. I still don't think there's anybody in the Orioles farm system who is a lock to develop into a MLB regular besides Yusniel Diaz, personally.

I think the one player we can be sure about is Chris freaking Davis. He'll definitely be here in 2021.

8 minutes ago, theocean said:

I think it's really too early to tell. I think by 2021 there will be more trades that bring in better prospects. Some of the players you listed above will probably have fizzled out. You have to figure the O's will sign some free agents at some point. I still don't think there's anybody in the Orioles farm system who is a lock to develop into a MLB regular besides Yusniel Diaz, personally.

I think the one player we can be sure about is Chris freaking Davis. He'll definitely be here in 2021.

Yup, I really wish we weren't stuck with that contract. Kinda throws a wrench into the rebuild.

9 hours ago, MarylandAaron said:

Seems about right. I like the fact that they're stockpiling prospects with these deals. If we can get a few more of those type of trades (possibly for guys like Trumbo, Gausman, Givens, Valencia, etc), I think we'll be in pretty good shape long term. It's just that we have to be fully committed to the rebuild process, and hopefully replicate something like what Houston did.

Yeah we definitely need some Infielders. The pitching looks good, especially the bullpen. We’re actually “2 deep” at every OF spot. We have to take the best return possible, but we need to start acquiring some SS, 2B, and 3B. We still have trade chips to add depth. 

2018 Deadline- Jones, Valencia, Brach, Gausman, Schoop, Joseph, Cashner

2019 Deadline- Bundy, Givens, Castro, Trumbo, Bleier, Beckham, Cobb

Trade everyone that won’t be here in 2021.  I’m also a big fan of trading relievers for everyday players or SP. It’s crazy value. Trade all the guys above, add the 19’ #1 pick & 20’ top 3 pick, sign Victor Victor, and at the 2020-2021 offseason we will have a top farm system, and payroll flexibility. 

Signing Victor Victor, and making some additional deals this deadline, would really make me have faith in our FO to do this rebuild and I’d be #trusttheprocess. 

14 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Givens should be gone next year if he pitches decent.  He would bring back some nice pieces to fill into the positions we need help in.  I like Fry in the pen and Mike Wright is finally looking like he is putting it together.  I would rather see Fry and Wright in the pen and trade Givens and Bleier for other pieces down the road.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I am hoping that Bobby Witt Jr  has the worst senior season in high school history.  

In regards to the OP's 2021 whiteboard, I am underwhelmed.

The pitching looks decent.  The offense looks pretty bad.  Lots of work still to be done.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I am hoping that Bobby Witt Jr  has the worst senior season in high school history.  

And I was getting used to the positive Moose.

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

So his counter to our Play like S--- for Witt is....

Play like Skank to be a Yank?

4 minutes ago, joelala said:

Why?

I assume it’s a joke, because numerous posters here are treating Witt as some can’t miss superstar who is guaranteed to go no. 1 in next year’s draft, when in fact it’s not at all obvious that he’ll be drafted no. 1 and there is a whole year of baseball to be played before that decision is made.    It’s nothing personal against Witt.

Archived