What does the 2021 White Board look like?

sportsfan8703

Just now, Frobby said:

I assume it’s because numerous posters here are treating Witt as some can’t miss superstar who is guaranteed to go no. 1 in next year’s draft, when in fact it’s not at all obvious that he’ll be drafted no. 1 and there is a whole year of baseball to be played before that decision is made.    It’s nothing personal against Witt.

Ah ok, just an attack on foregone conclusions ;)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, joelala said:

Ah ok, just an attack on foregone conclusions ;)

Right.   By the way, Fangraphs recently ranked Witt no. 11 in next year’s draft, and fifth among shortstops.   There are some evaluators who currently have Witt no. 1, but it’s far from unanimous and there’s a ton of baseball to be played before next year’s draft.

30 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

And I was getting used to the positive Moose.

Well, it's just that SO MUCH can change between now and 2021.  We've had these exercises before on here, I am sure no one keeps track of them to see what the predictions were then vs what actually ends up happening.  I would be curious to see what people thought 2018 was going to look like back in 2014 and 2015.  I am sure Hunter Harvey would be pegged to be in the majors and having success.

Guys don't pan out.  Guys suffer injuries that are career ending or career altering.  Trades.  

It's a fun exercise, part of me does get excited by looking at these names and thinking that a lot of these guys have upside and who can contribute.  But the nature of the baseball beast is that a bunch don't work out.  That's not me slamming the Orioles for not being able to do anything right as I usually like to do, that's just how it is in general.

Add that to the fact that the Orioles don't do anything right and you've got a recipe for disappointment :) 

In regards to Witt...just, whatever.  I've said it before, I'll say it again, a lot can happen between this year and the draft next year.  Witt just happens to have a famous dad who had a long career, I think the pedigree is a big part of why his name gets hyped.  Personally, given the O's woes at catcher, that Oregon St guy looks like a stud.  

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just saying...the baseball beast is a fickle one.  Not many get through.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Right.   By the way, Fangraphs recently ranked Witt no. 11 in next year’s draft, and fifth among shortstops.   There are some evaluators who currently have Witt no. 1, but it’s far from unanimous and there’s a ton of baseball to be played before next year’s draft.

Wow.  Yea, I have no real attachment to him, aside from the position he plays.  Our system is so devoid of impact middle infielders.

1 minute ago, joelala said:

Wow.  Yea, I have no real attachment to him, aside from the position he plays.  Our system is so devoid of impact middle infielders.

I guess the good news is, if Fangraphs thinks there are four shortstops better than Witt at this point, there should be some good choices available at the top of the draft for the O’s to consider.    And one of the other leading candidates is a catcher, which looks to be another position of need for us.    

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I guess the good news is, if Fangraphs thinks there are four shortstops better than Witt at this point, there should be some good choices available at the top of the draft for the O’s to consider.    And one of the other leading candidates is a catcher, which looks to be another position of need for us.    

it still boils down to, you pick the best player you can, regardless of position, and if you have too many, you trade somebody off, right??????

Just not enough info to even guess now.  Future trades will impact.  Future free agent signings could impact.  Development in an unexpected area could to.  Like Moose said, a lot of things will happen between now and 2021.  I'm fairly optimistic, but who knows?

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I am hoping that Bobby Witt Jr  has the worst senior season in high school history.  

In regards to the OP's 2021 whiteboard, I am underwhelmed.

We'll have a bazilliondy dollars to spend in free agency too.

One of the great things about rebuilding is you open upnopportunity.

1. You can give playing time to player who were prospects who other teams have given up on.  Ask the Yankees if they had Hicks pencilled into their whiteboard.

2.  You are shedding salary so you can sign free agents.  Not just any free agents but you have few obligations to existing players so you can pick and choose market efficient contracts and are not forced to sign out of need. 

Not gonna lie, that white board leaves a bit to be desired. We are thin in the infield and while you listed a whole lo of SP I would be surprised if more than one or two had any kind of meaningful MLB career. The front office has quite a bit of work to do.

I am encouraged by the white board in the OP for this thread.  That team would probably cost under $40M. 

I know we ran a payroll near $170M recently, but I think we are about to invest in infrastructure and scouting and then prospect internationally and that could add $8M-$12M - my estimates - to our current cost structure annually.  Between that and other investments, I think our payroll capacity will be closer to $150M.  Still, if international operations start churning out prospects/players, then the payroll could actually be lower as presumably we would have lesser need for expensive free agents at some positions.  

So, the white board team could be supplemented by a $20M annual players, two $15M guys, 3 $10M guys and a couple smaller signings.  And that list obviously doesn't include GrayRod or any of the talent we acquire in the next two drafts - including next year when we could have the largest draft pool in MLB.

Our system has clearly added depth and it is reflected in an encouraging outlook IMO in 2021 and possibly a full farm system and possibly competitive team by 2022-23.  

Nice thread.

Archived