An old, familiar feeling

Greg Pappas

Amid a season that sees the club potentially facing a historically bad season, an old, familiar feeling has begun to permeate throughout Orioledom. 

What began as whispers of a coming ownership transition, grew a bit louder with the hiring of Oriole legends.  It then grew louder still after Dan Duquette's multi-layered conference call, speaking on a new plan for the future of the organization.  Manny and Zach were then traded for seemingly solid returns, and it grew louder still.  Things were/are in motion... whispers have become rumblings, and maybe it's just the thunderstorms raging over the area, but I think it's more than that. :P 

With other trades seemingly coming down the tracks, and with today's discussions of making a play for top International talent, Victor Victor Mesa, the positive (and long overdue) need for change seems well underway. The hope is that these whispers and rumblings will grow into loud applause... a show of sincere appreciation. In the meantime, I'm getting an old, familiar feeling: Joy in being an Orioles fan.  For me, that has been a long time coming.

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Amid a season that sees the club potentially facing a historically bad season, an old, familiar feeling has begun to permeate throughout Orioledom. 

What began as whispers of a coming ownership transition, grew a bit louder with the hiring of Oriole legends.  It then grew louder still after Dan Duquette's multi-layered conference call, speaking on a new plan for the future of the organization.  Manny and Zach were then traded for seemingly solid returns, and it grew louder still.  Things were/are in motion... whispers have become rumblings, and maybe it's just the thunderstorms raging over the area, but I think it's more than that. :P 

With other trades seemingly coming down the tracks, and with today's discussions of making a play for top International talent, Victor Victor Mesa, the positive (and long overdue) need for change seems well underway. The hope is that these whispers and rumblings will grow into loud applause... a show of sincere appreciation. In the meantime, I'm getting an old, familiar feeling: Joy in being an Orioles fan.  For me, that has been a long time coming.

I hope you are right. 

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

They may let me down (yet again), but I'm actually getting excited.  It feels good.

Compare how dead the game threads are with the threads about trades and potential international signings.

A lot of folks are excited about starting fresh.

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

I agree, this feels like something new....like maybe the organization won't be fighting with one arm tied behind it's back anymore. I'm definitely excited, this seemingly new direction is something I can actually get behind.

I like the optimism of the OP and share that feeling that the club is moving in the right direction on several important fronts.  It is very exciting to thing we are going to rebuild our prospect base and our major league team from the ground up.

Of course, the practical side realizes that we have several years of heavy, losing ahead.  There are no shortcuts - just out-drafting, out-developing and our-smarting our competition.  

5 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

I like the optimism of the OP and share that feeling that the club is moving in the right direction on several important fronts.  It is very exciting to thing we are going to rebuild our prospect base and our major league team from the ground up.

Of course, the practical side realizes that we have several years of heavy, losing ahead.  There are no shortcuts - just out-drafting, out-developing and our-smarting our competition.  

Agreed.

3 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

It is a very difficult task.    Both skill and some luck are required.   It’s not as simple as trade everyone with a pulse for prospects, draft high for a couple of years and presto, you’re a contender!

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Compare how dead the game threads are with the threads about trades and potential international signings.

A lot of folks are excited about starting fresh.

So true. I haven't been this glued to the OH since the offseason! 

Err... that's a bad sign. But you get where I'm coming from. 

At least the team has become INTERESTING again... and the future is looking very, very interesting with our updated top 30 list. 

I'm thinking the Dodgers will regret the Diaz deal, eventually. That kid looks like a major stud. 

Archived