Tuesday's (7/31/18) Trade Deadline

Greg Pappas

3 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

I think there's a decent chance they prefer Baz to Hayes. At least it has seemed like that in recent days with him being out to the side and Hayes/Cruz being brought up.

I like Baz. He was ranked similarly to DL Hall coming out the draft. I’m sure we were considering drafting him. He’s already a top 100 guy, I don’t care if Pitt has guys ranked higher than him. By the time he’s ready to come up he could be a top 10 prospect in all of baseball. 

Baz with one of the IFs as a 2nd piece would work for me. 

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Number5 said:

The Orioles sure seemed active to me.  My guess is they've just reached a point in their negotiations that it's obvious  that no team will be stepping up with an offer that's clearly superior to what the Orioles would likely be able to get in the off-season or next year.

That’s fine by me.    Nobody’s untouchable but you have to like the return package.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m sure a lot of it is just a game of chicken right now with teams theoretically upping their offers as the deadline approaches. Also, the Nats selling has changed the market. 

They aren’t selling now, rolls eyes. If you are going to go for it, perhaps you should have a good manager. Awful decision to keep Harper IMO. It’s possible they trade one BP arm to make room for Glover, but that’s about it. They could use a Gausman or Bundy....

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s fine by me.    Nobody’s untouchable but you have to like the return package.

The longer you push out the accumulation of young talent the longer it takes for that talent to contribute at the ML level. There is a non zero time value that is lost by waiting another 6 months or year. Color me disappointed that the O's still seem incapable of moving a player before his walk year.

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

The longer you push out the accumulation of young talent the longer it takes for that talent to contribute at the ML level. There is a non zero time value that is lost by waiting another 6 months or year. Color me disappointed that the O's still seem incapable of moving a player before his walk year.

Gausman, Givens, and Bundy aren't expiring for 2 1/2 years or more.

Schoop is, but he also had an awful first half and it looks like the Brewers thought our asking price was too high. Can easily move him in the off-season when more teams would be buying 

11 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

They aren’t selling now, rolls eyes. If you are going to go for it, perhaps you should have a good manager. Awful decision to keep Harper IMO. It’s possible they trade one BP arm to make room for Glover, but that’s about it. They could use a Gausman or Bundy....

They are in almost the exact position the O’s were in 2015 and 2017 at the deadline.    Not totally out of it, not really in it.    But I do think the Nats are set up better for next year than the O’s were for this year.     

8 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I hear you, but quality of return is important too.    We haven’t gotten any details of what may have been available for Gausman or Schoop, so I can’t really say if they should have bitten or not.    I do think they’ll need to shop both hard this offseason rather than just waiting until next year’s deadline. 

3 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

I like that KG is the fallback option, if this is accurate.  If we get to that point, it means the Pirates didn't get their man and are approaching us with the clock ticking down to zero.  Either pay us what we want to move KG now, or come away with nothing.  ?

4 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Sounds like Orioles' have drawn a line in the sand saying that in a trade for Gausman, this is a low as we are going to go, and the Pirates are hoping to get the Rays down below that point for Archer.  If so, I have no problem with that.  Ball's in Pirates' court.

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

Sounds like Orioles' have drawn a line in the sand saying that in a trade for Gausman, this is a low as we are going to go, and the Pirates are hoping to get the Rays down below that point for Archer.  If so, I have no problem with that.  Ball's in Pirates' court.

Helps us out if Braves step up big for Archer.

MLB just reported Leonys Martin (an excellent CF glove) to Indians, so that AJ door is closed.

Archived