Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

weams

3 minutes ago, LTO's said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/ranking-the-prospects-traded-at-the-deadline-2/

Very interesting how different fangraph's rankings are than others.  Diaz is no surprise at 3 but Cumberland at 7 was surprising to me.

Yeah, they loooooove Cumberland. I believe Sickels or someone else had him as a top 150 guy coming into the season too.

Just going to assume our FO has him in FG/Sickels realm more than MLB.com.

3 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

So here's what really disappoints me about all of this.

We traded Machado, Britton, Gausman, Schoop (and to a lesser extent O'Day and Brach) and we didn't net a single prospect that prior to the start of the season ranked inside any of those clubs' top 6. Am I forgetting? 

(Maybe my wording sucked: within the top 5?)

When we traded for Andy Miller, does anyone know where EROD was ranked in our prospect list?

What about when we traded for Bud Norris? Where was LJ Hoes and Hader ranked?

17 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Gotcha. Thanks for the quick write-up.

Looking forward to your thoughts on Zimmerman. Looks like a guy who fell through the cracks, ATL scooped up, and they were reaping the benefits as he's showing this year so far (signed him for dirt cheap after they drafted him last year, stuff is a tick up this year from what he was, etc.).

Phillips looks like a solid RP for us down the road. 

At least that's my outlook on the two arms.

He was dirt cheap because he was a senior sign.

I'm looking forward to watching video. 

10 minutes ago, Rojo13 said:

When we traded for Andy Miller, does anyone know where EROD was ranked in our prospect list?

What about when we traded for Bud Norris? Where was LJ Hoes and Hader ranked?

Believe Erod was like 4 or 5. Hader blew up after we traded him. Davies had to be in our top five, right?

That's another thing that bugs about these trades today: DD gave up more quality for Gerardo freaking Parra and Bud Norris than we got for Schoop and Gausman.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Oops, Villar is just a MLB roster fill-in with some upside, is pretty solid defensively at 2B. A rebuilding team needs guys like that and he had a good season in 2016, it's possibly he is a solid contributor for the next two years. 

Luke-OH, if you had to choose a SS: Villar or Beckham ??

42 minutes ago, LTO's said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/ranking-the-prospects-traded-at-the-deadline-2/

Very interesting how different fangraph's rankings are than others.  Diaz is no surprise at 3 but Cumberland at 7 was surprising to me.

Fangraphs prospect rankings significantly differ from almost everyone else.  Unfortunately, they also haven’t been that impressive   

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

It's long, needs some work on the load portion, raw bat speed is there and looks like he gets good natural loft. He's quite raw but the tools are there, risk/reward guy. 

Strine  zone judgment was awful in those videos.  Not sure you can teach that 

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Ricke zone judgment was awful in those videos.  Not sure you can teach that 

With his K/BB numbers I'm sure his strike zone judgement is poor, but he's young and the late hand load makes it tricky to let the ball travel, and letting the ball travel is the key to strike zone recognition. 

• Upvote 1