Grade the Gausman Deal

Frobby

Grade the Gausman Deal  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your grade for the Gausman deal

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 01:24

11 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

It wasn’t all about dumping salary, but it was arguably the 2nd piece in the trade. JCE as grades by some is a 10-12M piece, dumping the salary is worth nearly that much. If they just wanted to dump salary they could have got rid of Trumbo too, maybe Gausman, Trumbo, and O’Day for Phillips or Zimmerman.

It was about dumping salary primarily.  What would Atlanta do with Trumbo?  Luke, it would've taken a Jedi mind trick to get them to eat Trumbo's salary.
giphy.gif

28 minutes ago, Finisher said:

"It appears Kevin Gausman has completely stopped throwing from the windup. Only took one start for the Braves to make the change"

8 innings, 1 run, 8 Ks

lol awesome. So basically, the usual 

8 minutes ago, 99ct said:

lol awesome. So basically, the usual 

REactionary post here:

But if Gausman lights it up for the Braves and Bundy sucks to finish the season, that’s just more damning evidence against whatever we do to screw up pitchers. 

Ive been on board for Dan sticking around, but he hasn’t really won with homegrown pitching success. The problem has continued. Makes me wonder if we should just clean house. Doesn’t matter how many prospects we acquire, all we do is screw them up. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator

2 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

REactionary post here:

But if Gausman lights it up for the Braves and Bundy sucks to finish the season, that’s just more damning evidence against whatever we do to screw up pitchers. 

Ive been on board for Dan sticking around, but he hasn’t really won with homegrown pitching success. The problem has continued. Makes me wonder if we should just clean house. Doesn’t matter how many prospects we acquire, all we do is screw them up. 

Gausman was good before he left.

• Upvote 1

The people here who are acting like Gausman has been healed and is going on to become the next Arrieta are only seeing what they want to see.  How many times did Gausman twirl a gem only to get shelled in his next start?  

There are too many smart people on this board to get carried away about one start.  Now if he finishes out the year throwing like that and continues into next season, different story.  But let's stop pretending that he's turned some corner because he's out of Baltimore.  

20 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

It was about dumping salary primarily.  What would Atlanta do with Trumbo?  Luke, it would've taken a Jedi mind trick to get them to eat Trumbo's salary.
giphy.gif

DFA him. It’s just buying Gausman with money rather than prospects.

5 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Gausman was good before he left.

He was fine. Not sure if I would call him good. More serviceable with potential for more. 

If the Braves tap into that “potential for more”, it’s gonna be hard to stomach. 

Especially with Bundy regressing. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

DFA him. It’s just buying Gausman with money rather than prospects.

So they would take on an additional $3-$4M this year, and $11.5M next year to save prospects?  On top of the O'Day deal?

50 minutes ago, Finisher said:

"It appears Kevin Gausman has completely stopped throwing from the windup. Only took one start for the Braves to make the change"

8 innings, 1 run, 8 Ks

This season, Gausman had a 9 IP CG shutout and 2 games where he went 8 IP with 2 ER.  Far too early to assume Atlanta "fixed" him.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

So they would take on an additional $3-$4M this year, and $11.5M next year to save prospects?  On top of the O'Day deal?

I don’t know if that’s something that’d be desirable for the Braves, but the value is pretty close between the 15-16M and JCE, Cumberland, and Zimmerman. It’s not a crazy idea, I think the Braves have enough prospect depth that they’d prefer the deal as it was completed, but I’d bet if the Orioles said we want to clear Trumbo and O’Day, just give us a marginal guy back and it’s either that or no Gausman, the Braves would have done it.

7 hours ago, Finisher said:

8 innings, 1 run, 8 Ks

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

The people here who are acting like Gausman has been healed and is going on to become the next Arrieta are only seeing what they want to see.  How many times did Gausman twirl a gem only to get shelled in his next start?  

There are too many smart people on this board to get carried away about one start.  Now if he finishes out the year throwing like that and continues into next season, different story.  But let's stop pretending that he's turned some corner because he's out of Baltimore.  

Yes, we will see.    I’ll say this: in his career, Gausman has a .284 BAA, .808 OPSA with the bases empty, .248 BAA, .700 OPSA with runners on.   So, it’s entirely possible that pitching out of the stretch all the time will help him.   

I agree with Moose et al about small sample size. We heard the “corner has been turned” several times regarding Gausman. BUT, if the Braves fix Gausman then the Orioles have to purge everyone and anyone associated with his development and coaching. And for gods sake don’t retain Buck. I’m very skeptical of Buck’s work with young starters.