Grade the Gausman Deal

Frobby

Grade the Gausman Deal  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your grade for the Gausman deal

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 01:24

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

I agree with Moose et al about small sample size. We heard the “corner has been turned” several times regarding Gausman. BUT, if the Braves fix Gausman then the Orioles have to purge everyone and anyone associated with his development and coaching. And for gods sake don’t retain Buck. I’m very skeptical of Buck’s work with young starters. 

Gausman is not fixed. Gausman was not broken. Bundy is a physical mess. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yes, we will see.    I’ll say this: in his career, Gausman has a .284 BAA, .808 OPSA with the bases empty, .248 BAA, .700 OPSA with runners on.   So, it’s entirely possible that pitching out of the stretch all the time will help him.   

And pitching against another pitcher. And defensive minded catchers. 

46 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Nothing helps a pitcher like getting out of the American League East.

Cop out.  We can't just throw up our arms and go "Ah!!! It's the AL East!!!" whenever things get tough.

Anyone we bring up is going to have to survive in the AL East.  It's a reality that we've got to deal with.  

Plus if Gausman is so good like people are making it out to be, he should have thrived in the AL East.   He should thrive no matter what.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Cop out.  We can't just throw up our arms and go "Ah!!! It's the AL East!!!" whenever things get tough.

Anyone we bring up is going to have to survive in the AL East.  It's a reality that we've got to deal with.  

Plus if Gausman is so good like people are making it out to be, he should have thrived in the AL East.   He should thrive no matter what.

Might be a cop out for some. Chris Archer's ERA in his Ray's career was under 3.00 vs. teams outside the AL East and over 5.00 in the AL East. A lot of runs get scored in the AL East.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

Why do we always dump pitchers who "get it" somewhere else? Gausman is a young guy with a big arm and we don't even have anyone like him in our system...Yes, he didn't deliver for us consistently. But we always seem to lack the people to help make the adjustments for our pitchers. That, to me, is no coincidence.

Preach it, Roy.  I don't think Gausman does any better than he was here but still.  It's annoying.

10 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

I doubt it. Have you already forgotten his gems for us earlier this year, including his 9 IP shutout?

So how do you explain Hellickson with a mid 3 era this year and Miley at 2.10? Yes SSS for both and their peripherals suck and they will regress BUT neither guy looked like a major league pitcher with us. This is a routine occurrence. It is fairly obvious Buck and his pitching coaches are not helping pitchers.

Would've kept Gausman and hired a real pitching coach and replaced Buck with basically anyone. Pretty much guarantee he would've had more value.

6 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Moose...he already has!  I watched last nights game. He was a different pitcher than we had.

Roy, I love ya man but it's one start.  Let's see how he finishes up the year.  And if he's dominating next season, I'll believe it.  He threw some gems while he was here, I am not ignorant of that.  It was just followed by a bad start or a start where he was cruising and then imploded.

1 minute ago, Finisher said:

So how do you explain Hellickson with a mid 3 era this year and Miley at 2.10? Yes SSS for both and their peripherals suck and they will regress BUT neither guy looked like a major league pitcher with us. This is a routine occurrence. It is fairly obvious Buck and his pitching coaches are not helping pitchers.

Would've kept Gausman and hired a real pitching coach and replaced Buck with basically anyone. Pretty much guarantee he would've had more value.

What, a real coach like Mazzone?  That guy was a fraud.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Finisher said:

I agree with you. And actually Hellickson's and Miley's peripherals are both decent. Miley will regress obviously, but both have looked good.