Grade the Gausman Deal

Frobby

Grade the Gausman Deal  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your grade for the Gausman deal

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 01:24

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

They got over 15 prospects in return for the 3 vets, did they not?

And you neglect to mention the international slot money for VMM, which surely had to have a part in this trade.

You can hold the international slot money over my head once they spent it. And I wasn't implying they should sacrifice quality for quantity. The needed to get quality + quantity. 

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

You can hold the international slot money over my head once they spent it. And I wasn't implying they should sacrifice quality for quantity. The needed to get quality + quantity. 

No need to hold it over anyone's head. Just like the Arrieta trade was absolutely appropriate at the time. I bet there was not an option that would have wowed you out there. But I don't really know. I do know the Orioles wont be here to rebuild with 9k fans a game in Baltimore in three years without a slim payroll. 

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

For you to say, not a single legit prospect was received, could be a bit over the top.

Ask me this time next year.    Like many others, my initial reaction to the trade was “underwhelmed.”   But, I plan to keep an open mind for now.    

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ask me this time next year.    Like many others, my initial reaction to the trade was “underwhelmed.”   But, I plan to keep an open mind for now.    

Brian Kenny just said that at the deadline, Ramos was the better acquisition. No one he spoke with expected this return from Gausman. 

5 minutes ago, weams said:

The injured catcher that the Phillies traded for. 

The discussion was who and how the NL was changed by the trade deadline. 

Oh, so you mean Wilson Ramos, who has hit .404/.446/.614 for the Phillies and has been worth 0.8 rWAR so far for Philadelphia.   I’d say both he and Gausman have done a better than expected job so far, though Gausman has had more impact because the Braves have won 5 of the 7 games he’s pitched and Gausman pitched well in all 5 wins.    Plus, as you noted, Ramos was on the DL when he was traded and only returned on August 15.   And of course, Ramos is a free agent at the end of the year, while Gausman is under the Braves’ control for two more years.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I find this post ironic, inasmuch as you are clearly hammering the trade prior to knowing what the outcome of the slot "money" is.  The point some of us are making is that it appears to us that the slot "money" and it's ramifications in the Orioles being able to sign Victor Victor is very much a major part of this trade.  As I said before, it would appear that the Orioles are confident they can sign him and the trade was made with that in mind.  I'm really not sure what would make you think otherwise.

5 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Salary savings mean nothing unless they turn around and reinvest that money into the team. Plus they had already shed a ton of salary this season (Manny, Britton, Schoop, Brach, Gausman, etc.) and have even more coming off the books next season. This was not a team that "had" to dump salary to stay afloat. 

As I pointed out in the post you quoted, it is difficult for fans to fully understand and/or appreciate what the salary savings is used for and/or what it enables the team to do.  Personally, I suspect part of it would be the money with which Victor Victor and perhaps other international freee agents can be signed.  Remember the slot "money" is really an increase in the spending limit on international free agents -- it isn't really money.  That money was previously unbudgeted and had to come from someplace.  O'Day's salary for the rest of this year plus all of next year more than covers it.

15 hours ago, weams said:

No need to hold it over anyone's head. Just like the Arrieta trade was absolutely appropriate at the time. I bet there was not an option that would have wowed you out there. But I don't really know. I do know the Orioles wont be here to rebuild with 9k fans a game in Baltimore in three years without a slim payroll. 

Apples and oranges. Gausman has already established himself as a solid, if not spectacular, starting pitcher. Arrieta was a complete wildcard. At the time he had no proven track record and unharnessed potential. No one who saw Arrieta pitch though he would develop into what he did. 

o

(BRAVES vs. NATIONALS, 9/14)

Gausman picked up a W today with a mediocre overall line.

5.67 lllllllInnings Pitched

4 )llllllllllllRuns

3 lllllllllllllEarned Runs 

2 lllllllllllllWalks

1 lllllllllllllStrikeout 

79 ))Pitches (50 )Strikes, )29 )Balls.)

o

Archived