Jonathan Villar- Our new 2B?

Greg Pappas

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It wouldn’t shock me either, but I don’t think .841 OPS is going to become a typical season for him either.   He’s got a .741 career OPS and his second best season is .788.    I think he’s a .775ish hitter on average the next 5 years.   

I'd take that in a heartbeat from the 2B position along with steady defense. That's Top 10 2B material year in, year out in all of MLB. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It wouldn’t shock me either, but I don’t think .841 OPS is going to become a typical season for him either.   He’s got a .741 career OPS and his second best season is .788.    I think he’s a .775ish hitter on average the next 5 years.   

.775 is Adam Jones' career OPS so I think you just proved the point. If Villar could do that from 2B or SS, that is a solid player. Schoop's career OPS is .740 although his best was also .840.

On 8/25/2018 at 10:01 PM, Aristotelian said:

.775 is Adam Jones' career OPS so I think you just proved the point. If Villar could do that from 2B or SS, that is a solid player. Schoop's career OPS is .740 although his best was also .840.

So far Villar has been approximating the short year he had with the Astros in 2015 (.752 OPS then, .748 with the Os). The next year he had his great season with the Brewers (38 doubles, 19 bombs, 62 stolen bases, .285/.369/.457/.826). Along with Mullins, Villar's also adding another exciting mode of attack to the offense, one that probably keeps the other players' heads in the game more than yet another soporific Davis whiff. And he seems to be decent at second base, with moments of brilliance.

Schoop is finally beginning to find his groove offensively with MIlwaukee. But I'm OK with the trade so far. I'll be delighted if the prospects we also got manage to flourish in our system.

I like what I've seen from Villar so far.  Just having that speed in the lineup is nice.  He may never get back to what he did in 2016, but if he can give us 75-80% of that production consistently, I'll be happy.  I would consider bringing Schoop back as the 3rd baseman if he can be acquired/signed in a team-friendly manner.  I think his struggles are emotional - the Orioles are all he's ever known, and I think it's pretty apparent that he's struggling with the change.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LA2 said:

So far Villar has been approximating the short year he had with the Astros in 2015 (.752 OPS then, .748 with the Os). The next year he had his great year with the Brewers (38 doubles, 19 bombs, 62 stolen bases, .285/.369/.457/.826). Along with Mullins, Villar's also adding another exciting mode of attack to the offense, one that probably keeps the other players' heads in the game more than a soporific Davis whiff does. And he seems to be decent at second base, with moments of brilliance.

Schoop is finally beginning to find his groove offensively with MIlwaukee. But I'm OK with the trade so far. I'll be delighted if the prospects we also got manage to flourish in our system.

You said it better than I did.  If he can give us a .750 OPS with that speed and good defense, I'll be a very happy fan.

5 minutes ago, esmd said:

I would consider bringing Schoop back as the 3rd baseman if he can be acquired/signed in a team-friendly manner. 

I wouldn't... that is how losing organizations screw up a re-build. Save the money even when it means lower production, invest in the farm.

Emotions must be removed from the decision-making.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I wouldn't... that is how losing organizations screw up a re-build. Save the money even when it means lower production, invest in the farm.

Emotions must be removed from the decision-making.

Schoop is only 26.  If you can get him back and extend him, he becomes part of your rebuild.  And unless Mountcastle truly has the arm to play 3rd (which is in question), then Schoop wouldn't be blocking anyone.  I get what you're saying, but it's not like we're talking about Jones or Trumbo.

I like Villar a lot.  He may never be an all star but I love the style of play and have really missed it in recent Orioles teams.  He did a little bit of everything last night, uniform was destroyed, and I want more of that.  Mullins and Villar at the top is just more fun.

45 minutes ago, esmd said:

Schoop is only 26.  If you can get him back and extend him, he becomes part of your rebuild.  And unless Mountcastle truly has the arm to play 3rd (which is in question), then Schoop wouldn't be blocking anyone.  I get what you're saying, but it's not like we're talking about Jones or Trumbo.

Like I said, this strategy is exhibit A in "How to doom a re-build from the start."

You say he's not blocking anyone, but in all likelihood the next contending O's team consists mostly of players that are not yet a part of the organization. Schoop isn't a game-changer and even if he were, such a player makes no difference on this team moving forward. The O's can't pay for prime years of veterans right now. It would be the most indefensible and counter-intuitive move I can re-call from Duquette in recent years.

• Upvote 1

On 8/5/2018 at 5:42 PM, Dark Helmet said:

I'm really wondering why the Brewers traded Villar. He looks like a much more exciting and polished hitter than Schoop. He brings way more to the table. Villar looks exactly like they type of player a playoff team wants. I didn't see much of Villar before he became an Oriole. Maybe being traded motivated him?

I hope it motivates him to have the type of season he had after the Astros traded him to the Brewers.

• Upvote 1

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:20 PM, bpilktree67 said:

I am thinking the Brewers non tender him now.  I would let Beckham walk and sign Schoop.  His poor year might have cost him a long term deal and he might look to get one year deal and rebound and it would only be a 3 million or  so difference between the two.   

Like your thinking...sign me up.