Mullins is with the Orioles! (edited)

terpoh

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd like to see the plus glove I heard about.

I look forward to them deploying a data collection system at every level that will analyze and report on every aspect of player performance, such as whether an outfield prospect has a plus glove or is simply fast.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd like to see the plus glove I heard about.

That was very interesting, in the minors (where I've watched him a ton) he was like a heat-seeking missile running down anything in his area. Good routes and an uncanny ability to control his body in the air to make leaping or diving catches. There was definitely some timidness to his game in his MLB debut, which is the antithesis of his milb approach to fielding.

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

That was very interesting, in the minors (where I've watched him a ton) he was like a heat-seeking missile running down anything in his area. Good routes and an uncanny ability to control his body in the air to make leaping or diving catches. There was definitely some timidness to his game in his MLB debut, which is the antithesis of his milb approach to fielding.

I’m optimistic his MiL skills will translate.    

Just now, Frobby said:

I’m optimistic his MiL skills will translate.    

IF we are to have believed our former manager, the second and third levels of MLB Stadiums cause some players a bit of problem in tracking fly balls.   IF that is the case he (Mullins) should improve drastically this year defensively.

4 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

IF we are to have believed our former manager, the second and third levels of MLB Stadiums cause some players a bit of problem in tracking fly balls.   IF that is the case he (Mullins) should improve drastically this year defensively.

Odd how I never noticed the issue with rookies on the opposition.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just repeating what I had heard previously.  It is also odd that nobody posts any of the problems that opposition rookies have in general on this forum.  We may be just getting the Oriole Issues as opposed to those of the other 29 Ball Clubs.

6 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Just repeating what I had heard previously.  It is also odd that nobody posts any of the problems that opposition rookies have in general on this forum.  We may be just getting the Oriole Issues as opposed to those of the other 29 Ball Clubs.

I was thinking game threads.

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Perhaps you’re not as focused on them and know less about their reputation in the minors.   But in any event I don’t think it’s a huge factor.  

I think Mullins will be fine in center.  His limiting factor is not hitting lefties in AAA or in the majors.   He has about a season to prove he can overcome that issue.  McKenna will be pressing for the starting centerfield stop in 2020.   It should be a good competition if Mullins can hit lefties.   McKenna arm rates better.   At this point I think McKenna beats out Mullins is center in 2020 and Mullins provides value as a 4th outfielder.

Elias/Hyde probably give Mullins a good chance to win the every centerfield job this season but he could be platooned probably with Rickard if he can't take advantage of the opportunity to hit lefties. JMO

Just now, wildcard said:

I think Mullins will be fine in center.  His limiting factor is not hitting lefties in AAA or in the majors.   He has about a season to prove he can overcome that issue.  McKenna will be pressing for the starting centerfield stop in 2020.   It should be a good competition if Mullins can hit lefties.   McKenna arm rates better.   At this point I think McKenna beats out Mullins is center in 2020 and Mullins provides value as a 4th outfielder.

Elias/Hyde probably give Mullins a good chance to win the every centerfield job this season but he could be platooned probably with Rickard if he can't take advantage of the opportunity to hit lefties. JMO

If he's a plus glove I don't care that much if he has to bat ninth against lefties.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he's a plus glove I don't care that much if he has to bat ninth against lefties.

SS Richie Martin is batting ninth.  The catcher whoever that turns out to be bats eight.    Both are going to have low hitting production.   Hyde probably will not want to have too many automatic outs in the lineup so vs lefties I think the O's platoon just to get a bat in there.   Rickard's career 766 OPS vs lefties fits.

IF you want to see a time line on a Switch Hitter from the Astros, look at Marwin Gonzales stat lines and his advancement under an analytically inclined front office.  This is not saying that Mullins would trend the same but there is a timeline.

Archived