Who will get a better contract this winter, Markakis or Jones?

Frobby

Who will get a better contract this winter, Markakis or Jones?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who will get the better contract this winter?

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

26 man roster only helps Markakis’ push to 3000. 

I don’t see how he makes it.  He is 645 hits away and had 118 last year and will turn 36 in a few days.  If his career was extended for pinch hitting that isn’t getting him very far.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

26 man roster only helps Markakis’ push to 3000. 

He's 645 hits from 3000.  If you right and he's only making the roster because of a 26th man, I'm assuming he's not going to play full time.  In his career he's averaged 111 hits per 100 games, that will probably go down in his late 30s.  At 100 hits a year he'd have to play until he's 42.  I'm not sure Nick is the kind of person who wants to be a part-timer into his 40s.

I think his only real shot is to play almost every day for the next 4 years.  He averaged about 170 hits a year from 2016-18, if he does that he gets there in mid-to-late 2023.

You could dig around the archives here and find a post I made around 2009 or 2010 saying Nick had a 20-30% shot at 3000 hits.  He's made a good run, but right now I don't think he gets there.

Beyond the 26th man, the NL DH and 32-team expansion aren't I suppose completely impossible things that could come in the next 4-5 years if Nick has the inclination to keep chasing a ring (that's the carrot I imagine he'd value more than X number of hits).  He is four months younger than Howie Kendrick.

Cal hit .340 that Age-38 year he finally stopped playing every day, but that's two more seasons away if he can do the trick as a non-inner circle HOF.  He's my favorite day dreamy fourth outfielder for 2022, and the hit tool is a little more age-resistant.

As for Adam Jones, my fingers are crossed for a guaranteed contract.

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

He is four months younger than Howie Kendrick.

30 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

And has about 60 pounds less muscle mass. Lol.

Kendrick had the kind of year that might make one wonder if he’s on PEDs.   Never had an OPS over .855 and at age 35 puts up .966, missing his career best HR total by one despite batting only 370 times.   Of course, there’s also the juiced baseball to consider.    

He and Nick debuted the same year, but Nick has played 500+ more games.    They are almost identical in rWAR, 33.0 for Nick and 32.9 for Kendrick.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Kendrick had the kind of year that might make one wonder if he’s on PEDs.   Never had an OPS over .855 and at age 35 puts up .966, missing his career best HR total by one despite batting only 370 times.   Of course, there’s also the juiced baseball to consider.    

He and Nick debuted the same year, but Nick has played 500+ more games.    They are almost identical in rWAR, 33.0 for Nick and 32.9 for Kendrick.  

I'm always suspicious when age/production deviate like that. I am also aware that people do have great years sometimes out of nowhere. He's definitely a thick man. Don't recall if that was always the case. It'll be interesting if he shows up at a 5 year celebration having shrunk like Bonds or McGwire.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I'm not suspicious of Kendrick. I think the Nats managed his workload perfectly. He's always been a great hitter, just VERY injury prone.