Jean Carlos Encarnacion

weams

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

In fact, if the ball stays in play and they throw him out at first base, the game is over and no runs score if there were two outs.

Throwing a guy out at first base from the left field corner? Only if he’s making his way to first base in a wheel chair after the ball lands. 

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Throwing a guy out at first base from the left field corner? Only if he’s making his way to first base in a wheel chair after the ball lands. 

Just sayin'.  Sometimes a guy either has a brain fart or just doesn't know the rules.  If he fails to run to first base and gets thrown out, no runs score, even if they crossed the plate before the out was made.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

What about bouncing off the top of the fence or the outfielder jumping up and knocking back on the field or just dropping it? It barely made it over the fence. I don't think this is huge deal, but I'm pretty sure he was was probably talked to about that.

Okay, that’s fair.

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

In fact, if the ball stays in play and they throw him out at first base, the game is over and no runs score if there were two outs.

Yes, I thought of that but it would be pretty far fetched to throw a runner out at 1B on a ball landing in the LF corner even if JCE didn’t start running until the ball landed

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

How's he looking other than the GS and ensuing controversy?

The swing gets long at times and he's had some bad ABs where he's swung and missed at average velocity fastballs on the plate. The set-up and load are improved, but the approach is poor. The bat speed is good, he looks very athletic at 3B with a good arm, albeit unpolished footwork. He's still raw and it's going to take awhile, I'd be happy with a slightly above league average batting line and marginal improvements in quality of ABs. 

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

How's he looking other than the GS and ensuing controversy?

Had a 3 for 5 yesterday.    Off to a decent start, .263/.317/.447.    10 K’s in 41 PA which isn’t great but is a significant improvement over last year.   

16 hours ago, TheDeau52 said:

I think that’s a bit dramatic. It’s either foul or a home run. Players do that at every level. Happens multiple times every game every day. I don’t think that falls under the category of “dogging it”.

Happens everyday, at every level, multiple times every game. I'm not sure where you are watching games but that seems a bit dramatic. I guess I am old school, you hit it 500 feet to win the world series stand there all you want. You hit one 310 feet in the 2nd week of low A, jog down the line.

• 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

4-5 yesterday, but I'm disappointed in the overall  line this year. (.247). He's 21 (w/1200 MiLB AB's!) and the stats look like he's been very mediocre the past year.  

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jc-encarnacion-669792?stats=career-r-hitting-milb

Good thing we got Zimmermann and 25 million savings in the Gausman deal. 

I’m disappointed in Encarnacion, but not giving up on him just yet.   His slash line the last 15 games is .358/.424/.623.   Hopefully he can finish the season strong and earn a promotion to Frederick for 2020.    

He's still striking out a lot in his hot streak.  Defensively, his fielding percentage is .896 - right in line with his career.  Granted, some of that might be poor minor league fields..  He definitely looks the part of a prospect, but playing the part has been problematic.  

9 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

He's still striking out a lot in his hot streak.  Defensively, his fielding percentage is .896 - right in line with his career.  Granted, some of that might be poor minor league fields..  He definitely looks the part of a prospect, but playing the part has been problematic.  

If you get a short enough look at him, he looks like the best player on the field. Loose, easy bat speed, plenty of arm and quickness for 3B. But poor footwork defensively, poor pitch recognition and approach at the plate. As I said earlier in the thread, he's really raw and it's going to take awhile, if it ever comes around. The raw ability and athleticism is still apparent though. 

• 2 weeks later...

JCE has continued his hot streak into mid-August and is slashing .381/.431/.511/.942 for the month.  He has as many hits in August already as he had in July and more than in April.  It looks like JCE has improved his BB and XBH ratios in the second half, but is also striking out more.  His second half OPS is about 100 points higher than in the first half.  He also sports a dramatic 610/757 OPS slight home v away for the season.

I would not call this a lost season for JCE and it is nice to see him finishing on a high note so far.  It would be nice to get him to Frederick next season - what an absolute drag Delmarva continues to be for our hitters.   How are they to learn how to hit in that park?

Archived