The 'Boy Was I Wrong!' Thread

Greg Pappas

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Chris Richards looked like the real deal to me...thought we had 1b solved for many years.....WRONG!

That would be one of mine, too.

I also believed Rodrigo Lopez would be our next true ace after Moose left.

You can put me in the Luis Matos camp.

Guilty of thinking that Gibbons would be our cleanup guy for years.

Thought Mazzilli would be a good manager.

Believed Javy Lopez could repeat his 2003 numbers.

• 11 months later...

The last post was one year to this day!

I could have sworn that we were just in this thread only a few months ago... time flys. :D

Well, I 'll get things stated with this>

I truly felt that Jeremy Guthrie was going to entrench himself into our 'staff ace' role this season... Boy Was I Wrong!

The last post was one year to this day!

I could have sworn that we were just in this thread only a few months ago... time flys. :D

Well, I 'll get things stated with this>

I truly felt that Jeremy Guthrie was going to entrench himself into our 'staff ace' role this season... Boy Was I Wrong!

I wasn't high on Guts coming into this season... I was high on Pie... and because of that and things I read about him on here, I was ready to trade Reimold for something else of need. Boy was I wrong...

So a guy who strikes out just 4.7 batters per 9 ip in 'A' and 'AA' in 2008 isn't ready for the majors early in 2009, right? No, I'm not obsessed with the strikeout. But 4.7K/9ip at 'AA' is REALLY low! And it's one of those stats that tends to get lower as players move up. And the guy had never pitched in 'AAA'. And nobody has sustained success at the majors as a starter with a strikeout level lower than that. You can debate theories on why not. But it doesn't happen.

Oh, and 'AA' lefties hit over .300 against this guy just last year. How's he supposed to pitch against Ortiz, Drew, Varitek, Teixeira, Posada, Cano, Damon, Matsui, Crawford, Pena?? I had hope that he was still improving... maybe he was working on something that kept his K totals down for the time being. Maybe he could develop a way to get lefties out at a greater rate. But he's sure not ready now! Is he?

Brad Bergesen, boy was I wrong!

Archived