2018 Orioles Top Prospect List

Tony-OH

43 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Trumbo was about a .285 hitter in the minors. 

There’s nothing wrong with being the next Trumbo

Agree there’s nothing wrong with it.   Saying that, Trumbo had a .275 average in the minors, Mountcastle is .295.    Mountcastle has played each level younger than Trumbo did, and generally, the minor leagues the West Coast prospects play in tend to be more hitter friendly than the ones Mountcastle played in.     For all those reasons, I think Mountcastle will hit for a higher average than Trumbo.    That doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll be a better overall hitter or player.    I’m hoping he will be, but if he has Trumbo’s career, that’s far from a terrible outcome.    

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agree there’s nothing wrong with it.   Saying that, Trumbo had a .275 average in the minors, Mountcastle is .295.    Mountcastle has played each level younger than Trumbo did, and generally, the minor leagues the West Coast prospects play in tend to be more hitter friendly than the ones Mountcastle played in.     For all those reasons, I think Mountcastle will hit for a higher average than Trumbo.    That doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll be a better overall hitter or player.    I’m hoping he will be, but if he has Trumbo’s career, that’s far from a terrible outcome.    

I just added up his time in the Angels minor league system and got an average of .288

Trumbo also has the better walk rate, though it’s still nothing spectacular. Good points about age of level and hitters leagues. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Spl51 said:

https://www.fantraxhq.com/top-25-baltimore-orioles-prospects-2020/

Only a C- overall grade for the system unfortunately.

I feel like people will have a hard time evaluating Kremer, Diaz and Hays in particular. I personally want to believe that each of their profiles is better than what any of them showed through most of this past year. 

The Adam Hall write-up was interesting. The rationale for putting him that high is pretty clearly articulated, so I don't hate it.

The Gunnar write-up was very bullish, IMO. Sounds like a worthy future 3B type if the bat develops as projected.

The McKenna write-up is baffling to me, from his placement at #9 to the bullish assessment of his swing. I'm not giving up on the guy either, but he has changes to make to reach the projections the author makes.

His conclusion that Baumann has legit #3 upside and could arrive in 2020 make his placement at #10 weird IMO. I mean, I get his 3rd pitch isn't on par with the first two, but the profile is better than McKenna's, for example.

I do like his rationale for having Lowther ahead of Akin, but I'd have both higher on the list just based on their ML ETAs.

I think @Luke-OH in particular, but most here, will be pretty unimpressed about his Harvey write-up. Having him at 21 seems pretty silly to me at this point.

Finally, #23 was Cadyn Grenier. Enough said.

[Edit: This list is a perfect example of the difference between other sites and the OH lists. They sound pretty smart, but I don't think their nearly as informed about O's prospects as the guys who put the OH list together.]

4 hours ago, Spl51 said:

https://www.fantraxhq.com/top-25-baltimore-orioles-prospects-2020/

Only a C- overall grade for the system unfortunately.

This list is pretty interesting through the top 16 or so, and then it seemed the author just took flyers.   But I enjoyed him putting Adam Hall at 7 and Drew Rom at 11.     You won’t see them that high on many lists, but both are interesting to me.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

This list is pretty interesting through the top 16 or so, and then it seemed the author just took flyers.   But I enjoyed him putting Adam Hall at 7 and Drew Rom at 11.     You won’t see them that high on many lists, but both are interesting to me.   

I can see Hall rating higher on a list for Fantasy players than he does on a conventional list.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I feel like people will have a hard time evaluating Kremer, Diaz and Hays in particular. I personally want to believe that each of their profiles is better than what any of them showed through most of this past year. 

The Adam Hall write-up was interesting. The rationale for putting him that high is pretty clearly articulated, so I don't hate it.

The Gunnar write-up was very bullish, IMO. Sounds like a worthy future 3B type if the bat develops as projected.

The McKenna write-up is baffling to me, from his placement at #9 to the bullish assessment of his swing. I'm not giving up on the guy either, but he has changes to make to reach the projections the author makes.

His conclusion that Baumann has legit #3 upside and could arrive in 2020 make his placement at #10 weird IMO. I mean, I get his 3rd pitch isn't on par with the first two, but the profile is better than McKenna's, for example.

I do like his rationale for having Lowther ahead of Akin, but I'd have both higher on the list just based on their ML ETAs.

I think @Luke-OH in particular, but most here, will be pretty unimpressed about his Harvey write-up. Having him at 21 seems pretty silly to me at this point.

Finally, #23 was Cadyn Grenier. Enough said.

[Edit: This list is a perfect example of the difference between other sites and the OH lists. They sound pretty smart, but I don't think their nearly as informed about O's prospects as the guys who put the OH list together.]