Luke’s 2018 Rule 5 Draft Preference List

Luke-OH

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, murph said:

#16 on Luke's list:

Drew Jackson    – Dodgers – Utility IF

Jackson has some impressive tools for a Rule 5 eligible player. He has a cannon for an arm and plus speed. He can handle 3B/SS/2B and has even spent some time in CF. Jackson has dealt with a significant swing overhaul and a handful of nagging injuries which have slowed his progress. I’m not sure he’ll be able to make enough contact against MLB pitching, but there is some upside here if he does.

22% SO rate in AA last year.  Can take a walk but you got to wonder where that hole is in his swing, especially since hes coming from Stamfors which has a school philosophy that favors contact over power.

15 HRs last year was a pretty big jump though and I am sure his college swing was reworked to get that pop.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Yeah lets get a guy who was destroyed in AAA last year.  

LOL, he was selected third. And based on your posts, I know reading comprehension or analysis aren’t 2 of your stronger points.

I wanted Ferrell but like the Martin pick, and not taking in the 2nd round may be a message that the bizarre fascination with the rule 5 may end soon:)

Posting this here since the thread on Luke’s top 50 has been locked.   Unless I missed someone, only 7 of the 14 picks were on Luke’s top 50 list, and only two of his top 10 got picked.    Here’s who was picked who appeared on Luke’s list, and where Luke ranked them.

1. Martin (10)

2. McWilliams (18)

3.  Romano (19)

4.  Ferrell (14)

8.  Bergen (35)

11. Jackson (16)

12.  Green (6)

Goes to show how reasonable minds can differ when it comes to scouting.   

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Posting this here since the thread on Luke’s top 50 has been locked.   Unless I missed someone, only 7 of the 14 picks were on Luke’s top 50 list, and only two of his top 10 got picked.    Here’s who was picked who appeared on Luke’s list, and where Luke ranked them.

1. Martin (10)

2. McWilliams (18)

3.  Romano (19)

4.  Ferrell (14)

8.  Bergen (35)

11. Jackson (16)

12.  Green (6)

Goes to show how reasonable minds can differ when it comes to scouting.   

Baseball America's 1,2 and 3 ranked went 1,2 and 4.  

4 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

No. They had to make a list of players to protect in the Minor League phase. I think Meoli said they protected 40 or so players. These guys weren't on the list.

32 was what was officially announced during the draft. 

• weams unlocked this topic
1 hour ago, atomic said:

Baseball America's 1,2 and 3 ranked went 1,2 and 4.  

In my defense, JJ Cooper listed 90 names and got 9 of the players picked. I listed 50 and got 7. I also was the high man on Green in any publicly available list. 

The only guy who got picked that I regret not having ranked was Dowdy, he is interesting as a relief convert, he probably should have been on the backend of my list, I looked at him but age and control threw me off the trail without noticing the velocity jump.

11 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

In my defense, JJ Cooper listed 90 names and got 9 of the players picked. I listed 50 and got 7. I also was the high man on Green in any publicly available list. 

I’m glad both our Rule 5 guys were reasonably high on your list.   

Archived