Orioles hire Mike Elias as Executive Vice President and GM

ISU94

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I'm cautiously happy with what I've seen so far from them. 

-- They allowed a July teardown.   It might not have been executed the best, but at least they allowed it.

-- They at least made gestures towards the international market, although no fruit has been produced yet.

-- They appear to have made a good hire.

Have to give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.   I for one vow to stop referring to them as Uday and Qusay as I have occasionally over the years.

I'm giving the AngelBros no credit for the teardown. It absolutely had to be done. No one in their right mind would have not allowed it. 

I'm giving the AngelBros very little credit for our gestures in the international market. That's fine. Once it was decided to move on from DD, then it was fine to sit tight. 

If they hire Elias and Sig, then I will give them credit for a good hire. On paper, this is exactly what the organization needs and it sets on a path to a world series. That's the goal. That's the system that Elias comes from. 

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jtschrei said:

I'm giving the AngelBros no credit for the teardown. It absolutely had to be done. No one in their right mind would have not allowed it. 

I'm giving the AngelBros very little credit for our gestures in the international market. That's fine. Once it was decided to move on from DD, then it was fine to sit tight. 

If they hire Elias and Sig, then I will give them credit for a good hire. On paper, this is exactly what the organization needs and it sets on a path to a world series. That's the goal. That's the system that Elias comes from. 

Those moves may have been "obvious" to us, and the IFA market may not have worked out for us, but those are massive shifts in what the old regime with PA would do.

So although it may have been things that were obvious to do, it shows a clear change in direction for this organization which is what we've been wanting for years/over a decade. This hire pushes the narrative even further and is worthy of being celebrated as it looks like our organization has finally stepped into the 21st century.

1 minute ago, jtschrei said:

I'm giving the AngelBros no credit for the teardown. It absolutely had to be done. No one in their right mind would have not allowed it

You say that.   But there were plenty of people on this board predicting it wouldn't happen.   The O's would come close to dealing Manny and back out.   Or we would deal Manny but wouldn't deal other expiring assets like Britton and Brach and Jones.   And that we certainly wouldn't deal Schoop with a year of control left.  These folks on this board were CONVINCED we would not do a complete teardown, just token gestures at most.   Yet we did ALL those things (if you accept the premise that we really did try to trade Jones and he nixed it).

Yeah, it seems obvious in hindsight.   But i can find hundreds of handwringing posts on this board where people were saying the front office wouldn't do what needed to be done.   The posters on here were just sure the front office wouldn't do it.

So yes, I will give them credit for actually authorizing a legitimate teardown for the first time in nearly two decades, after years of the company line being that such a thing was a betrayal of the fans who had bought tickets.

Are people really hang wringing over what title is an executive or not? An executive is just somebody in an organization that has the power to put plans in place and execute against those plans. It's as simple as that. If Mike Elias is a General Manager, he's an executive. If Mike Elias is a VP of Baseball Operations, he's an executive. It comes down to the job responsibilities and both of those titles (GM, VP of Baseball Operations) have largely shared very similar responsibilities.

18 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Are people really hang wringing over what title is an executive or not? An executive is just somebody in an organization that has the power to put plans in place and execute against those plans. It's as simple as that. If Mike Elias is a General Manager, he's an executive. If Mike Elias is a VP of Baseball Operations, he's an executive. It comes down to the job responsibilities and both of those titles (GM, VP of Baseball Operations) have largely shared very similar responsibilities.

Pretty much.  Seems like no matter the move there's always something that people have to pick at.

I don't care about the title, please just go kick ass and take names please :)

5 hours ago, hayek said:

To get an idea as to how advanced analytics can be used in baseball, I highly recommend the book Astroball. 

Astroball: The New Way to Win It All

Just off the top of my head, I recall chapters on:

1.  How they encouraged J.D. Martinez to rebuild his swing.  If Chris Davis isn't sent to the same swing doctor, I will be shocked.  Heck, the whole team should be sent.

2.  How the Astro's knew why Justin Verlander was underperforming when he was still with Detroit.  Then they signed him, and let him in on the secret.  Hope they have the dirt on Bundy and others.  

3.  How they decided on Correa and Bregman as top picks.  Gives me hope they won't strike out with the Oriole's #1 picks the next couple of years.  

4.  How they provided individualized scouting reports to their players, including Dallas Keuchel, to allow them to make the most of their strengths.

Mike Elias and Sig play big roles throughout.  Gotta say, if this comes to pass, I am super excited for the future of the Orioles.  

I'd love to read it but I refuse to spend $13.99 on a 261 page Ebook.

Archived