Joe Espada Future Orioles Manager?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was a finalist for the Toronto job.

Coached in the Marlins system, was a pro scout with the Yankees, left to go back to coaching for the Astros. Bilingual (from Puerto Rico). Has managed several PR winter league teams.

We know the kind of stuff that can be googled.  He's rumored because the beat writers are assuming he'd be a possible candidate due to his Houston connection with Elias.  Espada was the Marlins 3B coach 2010-13, then a SpecAsst for Cashman for a year, 3B coach for Girardi for 2 years, before the move to Houston this year. 

His name had been mentioned as one possibility to replace Girardi, fitting the bill as a younger, analytically inclined candidate who had a prior relationship with general manager Brian Cashman.

https://www.mlb.com/news/joe-espada-leaving-yanks-for-astros/c-260543762

If Elias is the GM, he's well aware of Espada and wouldn't need a formal interview except to discuss contract terms.

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Just like we wanted John and Lou Angelos to look outside the system for a new top dog, I want Elias to go outside his comfort zone to consider a range of manager candidates.

Apples and oranges.  We wanted John and Lou to look outside the organization because the options in the organization, like Brady, suck.  We wanted them to leave their comfort zone to find an analytics guy.  The same logic doesn't apply here.  In Elias' "comfort zone" is a very solid option in Espada.  If they hire him instead of looking at a ton of other options, it would be fine with me.  We brought in Elias and should trust his discretion.

13 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

How hard is it to be a baseball manager? You just make a lineup card and don't make dumb decisions.

Particularly if the bench coach monitors the OH game thread and relays our wise in game decisions to the manager....hey... we will be back in hog heaven real soon!

18 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Just like we wanted John and Lou Angelos to look outside the system for a new top dog, I want Elias to go outside his comfort zone to consider a range of manager candidates.

Ehh, you want a guy who has a similar mindset as far as what needs to be done. You want a guy who is behind the analytics side of things as well and won't fight you on that. I'd be extremely happy with a guy who is all aboard that train.

I said it a few days ago, I am looking at this next manager hire as a sacrificial lamb.  They're going to have to manage some brutal rosters.  There's a strong chance that they won't be the manager for the next O's playoff team, although if they're going to weather the storm for the next 3-4 seasons, they should be given every opportunity to manage a winner.

I'm cool with Espada.  Sounds like a good dude.  I just hope that he gets to see it through to the end.

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I said it a few days ago, I am looking at this next manager hire as a sacrificial lamb.  They're going to have to manage some brutal rosters.  There's a strong chance that they won't be the manager for the next O's playoff team, although if they're going to weather the storm for the next 3-4 seasons, they should be given every opportunity to manage a winner.

I'm cool with Espada.  Sounds like a good dude.  I just hope that he gets to see it through to the end.

Our next playoff team manager might not be born yet! ?  Semi kidding.  I'm kind of excited to see what happens now.

10 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

How hard is it to be a baseball manager? You just make a lineup card and don't make dumb decisions.

I think the hardest parts involve keeping all your players happy and motivated while making a lineup card and refraining from dumb decisions.

Archived