Matthias Dietz - RHP - 2018 #30 Prospect

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

???

Sorry, I just don’t see it.   

I'll let Luke explain in more detail.

At the end of the day though, Luke saw him sit in the upper 90s with plus offspeed stuff in an outing. The thought is mainly that with that kind of raw stuff, perhaps a move to the bullpen would allow him to be more consistent. He's nothing more than a flier because of the raw stuff he's shown at times. Afterall, we all talking about the 30th prospect in the organization.

• 5 months later...

To say Dietz has been a disaster in 2019 would be a huge understatement.   

April 7: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 4 BB, 2 K’s, 1 HBP, 1 WP

April 13: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 5 BB, 3 K’s, 1 WP

April 20: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 9 R, 6 ER, 4 BB, 0 K’s, 3 HBP, 1 WP

Today: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 2 BB, 0 K’s, 2 HBP, 2 WP

Totals: 6.2 IP, 12 H, 26 R, 21 ER, 15 BB, 5 K’s, 6 HBP, 5 WP

He needs a reset.    I’d send him back to extended spring training.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'd send him to get a physical.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree, I haven't seen him yet this year, but it looks like late last season. Really bad, can't buy a strike. That's the thing with weird mechanics, some guys can make it work, some can't. It's a shame because arm strength is off the charts and he can spin it too. 

30 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I agree, I haven't seen him yet this year, but it looks like late last season. Really bad, can't buy a strike. That's the thing with weird mechanics, some guys can make it work, some can't. It's a shame because arm strength is off the charts and he can spin it too. 

The last year and a half has been awful. I don't know how he was in Delmarva, but when he got to Frederick last year, his control was some of the worst I've ever seen in person.

6 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

The last year and a half has been awful. I don't know how he was in Delmarva, but when he got to Frederick last year, his control was some of the worst I've ever seen in person.

Like I've posted before, he had some games in Delmarva where he sat 95-97 with life and flashed a plus slider and an above average changeup. The command was below average, but he was throwing enough strikes, for it to work regardless. He was out of whack later in the season and couldn't repeat his mechanics. I'd guess that's what's still happening. He probably needs to try and rework the delivery from the ground up and that is a low probability plan at his age. 

6 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Like I've posted before, he had some games in Delmarva where he sat 95-97 with life and flashed a plus slider and an above average changeup. The command was below average, but he was throwing enough strikes, for it to work regardless. He was out of whack later in the season and couldn't repeat his mechanics. I'd guess that's what's still happening. He probably needs to try and rework the delivery from the ground up and that is a low probability plan at his age. 

Honestly, I don’t know how they let him go north if he’s this screwed up.   Fix him or release him, but don’t send him out to be embarrassed.    

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, I don’t know how they let him go north if he’s this screwed up.   Fix him or release him, but don’t send him out to be embarrassed.    

It could be the yips, he could be fine in bullpens and lose it in games. But yeah, I was in favor of shutting him down early last year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived