Matthias Dietz - RHP - 2018 #30 Prospect

Tony-OH

14 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The jump from Delmarva to Frederick is real. Ask Jomar Reyes and Ofelky Peralta. 

It's definitely real for pitchers.  A lot of position prospects  have had success though and Frederick is known as an extreme hitters park. 

Reyes is an extreme case in the other direction, but look at what Ryan McKenna did there last year or DJ Stewart (after struggling at Delmarva within the same season).  

57 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

It's definitely real for pitchers.  A lot of position prospects  have had success though and Frederick is known as an extreme pitchers park. 

Reyes is an extreme case in the other direction, but look at what Ryan McKenna did there last year or DJ Stewart (within the same season).  

I have NEVER heard Frederick being a pitchers park at all, only the complete opposite.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I have NEVER heard Frederick being a pitchers park at all, only the complete opposite.

I just corrected my previous post.  I meant to say hitters park. 

Makes the rest of my post make a lot more sense since I was commenting on hitters having success there. 

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Dietz pitch today and it was as bad as the numbers indicate.  Warming up in the bullpen he airmailed the catcher several times, causing the ball to ricochet off the outfield wall and onto the field of play.  It was Nook Laloosh-esque but with poor stuff.  The velocity was non-existent.  He sat 92-93 and t94 (both on the stadium gun and multiple scouts' guns, so it's accurate). He occasionally mixed in a fluttering 84-85 breaking pitch that I think was supposed to be a slider, but it didn't really move and was up in the zone every time he threw it. Obviously, control/command was awful.

He needs to go down to extended spring for a complete overhaul, they need to get him out of A+ ball.  It was difficult to watch. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Big Mac said:

I saw Dietz pitch today and it was as bad as the numbers indicate.  Warming up in the bullpen he airmailed the catcher several times, causing the ball to ricochet off the outfield wall and onto the field of play.  It was Nook Laloosh-esque but with poor stuff.  The velocity was non-existent.  He sat 92-93 and t94 (both on the stadium gun and multiple scouts' guns, so it's accurate). He occasionally mixed in a fluttering 84-85 breaking pitch that I think was supposed to be a slider, but it didn't really move and was up in the zone every time he threw it. Obviously, control/command was awful.

He needs to go down to extended spring for a complete overhaul, they need to get him out of A+ ball.  It was difficult to watch. 

So stuff is down substantially as well the obvious control issues. He was sitting 94-97 as a starter early last year, flashing a plus slider. 

On 6/23/2019 at 11:26 PM, Punchandjudy said:

Sounds like more than a case of the yips.  He really has regressed since his promotion last year from Delmarva.  Too bad, he was starting to show some promise.  

Tonight wasn't much better.

0.2 innings, 1 hit, 2 runs, 4 (FOUR!) walks. Only 10 of his 29 pitches were strikes.

He did strike out two though, for his outs. 

Maybe get him some glasses?

On 6/23/2019 at 4:27 PM, Big Mac said:

Sounds like the perfect Orioles pitcher.

Bring him up and throw him in there!