Adam Ottavino vs "The Babe"

SouthRider

He cited Babe's swing, the weight of his bat and diet when talking with the Statcast podcast hosts on this.

About 10 years ago at a bookstore event, I heard Kevin Goldstein, a long time prospect writer at BA and BP before joining the Astros in 2012, say he guessed Adam Jones was about as good as Willie Mays in response to an "old days" type question comparing basically the 1950's and 2000's.

On 12/11/2018 at 6:16 PM, SouthRider said:

I had to chuckle at this one.  32 year old reliever Adam Ottavino says he would strike out Babe Ruth.  He is probably right.  

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/reliever-adam-ottavino-says-strike-babe-ruth-every-time-152233997.html

I get where Ottavino's coming from, but what he's not taking into account if that you put Babe Ruth in today's game he'd have access to the same technological advancements as everyone else. He'd still have incredible hand / eye coordination and I'm sure he'd be able to make use of the new advancements and adjust his game to catch up with Ottavino's fastball. 

Pretty sure if Babe Ruth was born in 1995 he would have developed into a much better version of the player that was born in 1895.   Of course the pitching competition would also be tougher........difficult to parse out what kind of numbers he would have put up without access to the Time Stone.

Archived