So I was talking with Brian Matusz a little while ago...

My O's Face

Question for Weiters......

Its been said that you didnt call your own games in college. Tell us about learning to call games professionally. Who is helping you with this process?

This point has been twisted a little too far on the OH message boards. Wieters didn't call his own games because in the large majority of college programs, the coach calls the game. So almost every recent catching prospect has had to learn to call his own games once he goes pro.

Wieters is getting good reviews on his game calling at this point. But it's common sense to think that there is a learning curve. That's all.

... in other words, I agree that your question is a good one, but, "it's been said that you didn't call your games in college," should be replaced with, "as you adjust from the college game to the pro game".

This point has been twisted a little too far on the OH message boards. Wieters didn't call his own games because in the large majority of college programs, the coach calls the game. So almost every recent catching prospect has had to learn to call his own games once he goes pro.

Wieters is getting good reviews on his game calling at this point. But it's common sense to think that there is a learning curve. That's all.

... in other words, I agree that your question is a good one, but, "it's been said that you didn't call your games in college," should be replaced with, "as you adjust from the college game to the pro game".

I was talking with JustD and Weams at OH night at OPACY (glad I went, spur of the moment decision), and I'll paraphrase a point JustD made... people forget that these pitchers in the minors are WORKING ON SOMETHING. David Hernandez may have an outing where he appears to consistently have trouble keeping the ball down because he is throwing an inordinate number of THE PITCH that he is having trouble keeping down.

Put 2 and 2 together, and I think there will be quite a bit of continued adjustments for a catcher's game calling as he progresses. Perhaps he'd be asked to call something now that he wouldn't otherwise choose to call. Then again, a guy like Wieters has been back there for a long time. That's not new.

Anyway, the word so far is that everyone thinks Wieters will have no trouble making this adjustment. Arrieta was on 1570am speaking positively on Wieters' game calling. Those saying, "give him some time" are just saying, "it is an adjustment" for anyone. Don't read more into it than that.

I was talking with JustD and Weams at OH night at OPACY (glad I went, spur of the moment decision), and I'll paraphrase a point JustD made... people forget that these pitchers in the minors are WORKING ON SOMETHING. David Hernandez may have an outing where he appears to consistently have trouble keeping the ball down because he is throwing an inordinate number of THE PITCH that he is having trouble keeping down.

Put 2 and 2 together, and I think there will be quite a bit of continued adjustments for a catcher's game calling as he progresses. Perhaps he'd be asked to call something now that he wouldn't otherwise choose to call. Then again, a guy like Wieters has been back there for a long time. That's not new.

Anyway, the word so far is that everyone thinks Wieters will have no trouble making this adjustment. Arrieta was on 1570am speaking positively on Wieters' game calling. Those saying, "give him some time" are just saying, "it is an adjustment" for anyone. Don't read more into it than that.

JustD is a great person to sit next to in a game. She has lots of knowledge and makes the game more interesting. She has a good point about the pitchers working on stuff.

Thanks for the insight.

I asked Mike (through email) well before you addressed my open question to ask Weiters. I look forward to his response. My question addresses the ongoing process as well as the newness of the responsibility. I'm sure his point of view would be very interesting to hear.

*insert added

Question for Weiters......

Its been said that you didnt call your own games in college. Tell us about learning to call games professionally.

Wieters' response:

"It’s a learning process. You’re always constantly learning the other teams hitters and you’re learning your pitchers to see what they like to throw in certain counts. It’s something that is going to go on for the rest of your career. You’re trying to constantly change to what the hitters are trying to do and trying to change to where your pitcher’s stuff is at."

Who is helping you with this process?

Wieters' response:

"It’s everybody. It’s Petey [brian Peterson], it’s [steve] Torrealba, it’s all the catchers that have been doing it for awhile, it’s all of the coaches on the coaching staff. Everyone’s trying to lend a hand to help the learning process move as quickly as possible."

Two part question for Matt.

1. What do you feel is your biggest weakness as a hitter?

2. What do you feel is your biggest weakness on defense?

Noted. I'll put it in my notebook and track him down when they get back home on Monday.

2. What do you feel is your biggest weakness on defense?[/quote

Mike, you may want to phrase it, "What are some things you are trying to improve on as a hitter?"

Players don't like to hear weaknesses and with Wieters, he really doesn't have one.

Mike, you may want to phrase it, "What are some things you are trying to improve on as a hitter?"

Players don't like to hear weaknesses and with Wieters, he really doesn't have one.

He could really improve his HBPs.

For any who are wondering, I'M KIDDING.

He could really improve his HBPs.

For any who are wondering, I'M KIDDING.

Well, he is a pretty big target. A guy like him should be getting on base via HBP at least 15 times a year. :rofl:

Yeah, I think that is a better way to phrase the question get a good answer. On my college paper beats I've gotten chewed out by coaches/players for much less than using the term "weakness."

Yeah, I think that is a better way to phrase the question get a good answer. On my college paper beats I've gotten chewed out by coaches/players for much less than using the term "weakness."

Instead of weakness I'd pose the question like this.

What skills at the plate and behind the plate do you think you need to refine to have similar success at the Major League level that you've had in the minors this season?

Archived