Could Dave Trembley be making his way back into the organization?

Snutchy

Interesting tidbit from Roch regarding Dave Trembley. I feel like Roch is probably reaching and running out of things to report.

Hyde and Elias know Dave Trembley and I wonder whether the former Orioles manager could find his way back to the organization. He resigned as the Braves’ director of player development in August and wants to stay in baseball.

His teaching and organizational skills are exceptional.

Trembley served as third base and bench coach with the Astros from 2013-14, when he was dismissed along with manager Bo Porter. Elias was the director of scouting before becoming assistant general manager.

Food for thought.

Let Hyde do whatever he wants, hire and fire who he wants.  Carte blanche.  That's an old Japanese phrase meaning "this organization has been a dumpster fire and if Brandon Hyde wants Dave Trembley to do anything, that's his prerogative, and the dopes who've otherwise crashed this plane should get out of his way without quarrel."

It's a very difficult and unusual translation.

I think Roch is throwing things out there because perhaps he likes Trembley. I see no reason to bring Trembley back in any capacity.  I never knew how Trembley kept his job as long as he did.  The teams were about the most fundamentally unsound I have ever had the displeasure of watching.  

I liked Trembley.  Seemed over his head after awhile as the manager, but I liked his attitude, and he seems pretty well regarded.  If Hyde wants him on the big league staff, or Elias wants him someone in the minors working on player development, I'd be all for it.

11 hours ago, interloper said:

Love DT. If he's a good enough coach for the Astros he's good enough for us. Just not as manager.

He wasn't good enough to be the Astros bench coach he was fired.  During Trembley's time with the team they were 

2013 51-111

2014 59-79

After Trembley was fired they went 11-13 the rest of 2014 and then 86-76 in 2015.  

The manager was fired as well as the GM said that it wasn't because of wins and  loses that they were fired but they needed a new direction in the clubhouse. 

IMHO Trembley is the worst manager the Orioles have ever had.  Players consistently threw to the wrong base when he was manager, base running mistakes were common place. If you can't get a major league team to play as well as a high school team I am not sure what you belong on a major league coaching staff. 

26 minutes ago, atomic said:

He wasn't good enough to be the Astros bench coach he was fired.  During Trembley's time with the team they were 

2013 51-111

2014 59-79

After Trembley was fired they went 11-13 the rest of 2014 and then 86-76 in 2015.  

The manager was fired as well as the GM said that it wasn't because of wins and  loses that they were fired but they needed a new direction in the clubhouse. 

IMHO Trembley is the worst manager the Orioles have ever had.  Players consistently threw to the wrong base when he was manager, base running mistakes were common place. If you can't get a major league team to play as well as a high school team I am not sure what you belong on a major league coaching staff. 

It’s hard to put the Astros’ record on the bench coach.    He was fired because they were firing Porter.

As to his time with the Orioles, I don’t see much evidence that the mental mistakes you are citing were that prevalent.   The number of outs on the bases was high in 2008 but dropped significantly afterwards and was in the normal range; they went up in Buck’s first full year as manager.   As to a rash of throwing to the wrong base, I don’t remember that.   He had Markakis in RF who almost never made a mental mistake; Jones in CF who made some blunders early but got better with experience; and a variety of guys in LF (Scott, Reimold, Pie) and only Pie was really prone to mental errors.    

I’m not going to say Trembley was a great manager, but mostly he was saddled with bad teams and at times some bad defenders.   My biggest criticism of him is he seemed to tense up when the team got on a losing streak and that carried over to the team and things would snowball.

If I had to vote for worst Orioles manager, Phil Regan would get my vote.   

Having thought about it a little, I’m going to backtrack on the question of poor baserunning by Trembley’s Orioles teams.    BP has the O’s last in baserunning runs in 2009, and below average in 2008.    BB-refs’ Rbsr also has them well below average both years.   Some of that was having a slow team, but guys like Mora and Pie made a lot of blunders.   So yeah, I can see putting some of that on Trembley.   

What I remember most about Trembley was how he talked about respecting the game. Then he put Tejada, who had a broken wrist, in the lineup just so Tejada could extend his consecutive game played streak.

I would vote no for Trembley.

Archived