Orioles claim Austin Brice Designate Valera (Traded to Giants for CC)

jrobb21613

Just now, wildcard said:

Yes

The part where he was a good kid, or very coachable or had a cool mustache? Or did you like that his platform was broken down into useable pitches at the major league level. Not coached up by a veteran catcher. But specifically seperated into the elements where success was probable.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, weams said:

The part where he was a good kid, or very coachable or had a cool mustache? Or did you like that his platform was broken down into useable pitches at the major league level. Not coached up by a veteran catcher. But specifically seperated into the elements where success was probable.

What I see is a right-handed reliever that will play 2019 at a MLB age of 27 that is having trouble breaking into the majors for three years now.  He is out of options.   That means any changes that are made have to be successful is ST or he gets DFA'd.  Maybe he passes through waivers and maybe he doesn't.  But his roster flexibility is limited because he is out of options.

Valera has an option.  If he passed through waivers the move will look better.   But if he is claimed  the O's effectively traded an unproven player with options that would add depth to the infield for a player without options.  If they had DFA'd Hart, Wright or Susac who are all out of options I would have liked the move better.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am not a big fan of this move.   I will like it better if Valera passes through waivers.   I would have liked it better if Hart or Wright were DFA'd instead.

If the plan is to go with the Rule 5 IFs then we really don’t need Valera on the 40 man. He became redundant since the Manny trade. Villar took over 2B. Valera doesn’t really have the arm to play the left side of the IF. Wilkerson has the better stick at 2B. Ruiz has potential as well. We also re signed Jace Peterson for IF depth. 

I don’t know much about the pitcher but I’m glad Elias and the FO are settled in enough to make some 40 man roster moves. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If the plan is to go with the Rule 5 IFs then we really don’t need Valera on the 40 man. He became redundant since the Manny trade. Villar took over 2B. Valera doesn’t really have the arm to play the left side of the IF. Wilkerson has the better stick at 2B. Ruiz has potential as well. We also re signed Jace Peterson for IF depth. 

I don’t know much about the pitcher but I’m glad Elias and the FO are settled in enough to make some 40 man roster moves. 

Pretty darned good post. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sure.  Elias will make moves as he should.

Villar is probably only with the O's until July.  He is a prime candidate to be traded.  Valera, Wilkerson, Ruiz? Who knows which one has a better 2019?   But they all have options and they add to the roster flexibility.

Brice limits the flexibility and because of his age, being out of options and that he has had three tries to make the majors he is more likely to be DFA'd at some point during 2019 than not IMO.

Hey they are the experts.  I am just a guy sitting on a couch.  But IMO I would not trade Valera for Brice.  Neither are great but at least Valera could be  sent to minors and recalled as many times as they likely in 2019. If Valera passes through waivers that would be better.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Villar is probably only with the O's until July.  He is a prime candidate to be traded.  Valera, Wilkerson, Ruiz? Who knows which one has a better 2019?   But they all have options and they add to the roster flexibility.

Brice limits the flexibility and because of his age, being out of options and that he has had three tries to make the majors he is more likely to be DFA'd at some point during 2019 than not IMO.

Hey they are the experts.  I am just a guy sitting on a couch.  But IMO I would not trade Valera for Brice.  Neither are great but at least Valera could be  sent to minors and recalled as many times as they likely in 2019. If Valera passes through waivers that would be better.

I think this is solid enough. I also think at this point we want to embrace the new organization that we have become. And Luke's article is a way to start to understand that. 

52 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Villar is probably only with the O's until July.  He is a prime candidate to be traded. 

Why? Decent 2B that can lead off, two years left in arbitration? Do the Orioles suddenly not need any okay-to-good players?

Or is it just some made up narrative that the OH is pushing that we’re just going to trade everyone with a little bit of talent?

9 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Why? Decent 2B that can lead off, two years left in arbitration? Do the Orioles suddenly not need any okay-to-good players?

Or is it just some made up narrative that the OH is pushing that we’re just going to trade everyone with a little bit of talent?

No. That's just me. Because I thin they need to sink the payroll below 50 million.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I believe that Elias was in St. Louis when they signed Valera.  Maybe he was never that impressed?

According to fangraphs grades, his most dominant pitches, by far, are his fastball and curve. The Astros have been a team that’s focused on the fastball/curve combination. The significance being, last year was the first year he dropped his curve ball entirely.

It stands to reason, Elias will bring the curve back and that’s where he sees the upside in Brice.

Archived