O’s claim IF Hanser Alberto from Yankees; DFA Susac

Frobby

On 8/31/2019 at 3:36 PM, Moose Milligan said:

It's not out of the question that Hanser can have a really hot September and win a batting title.  

I know, I know, WAR, WAR, WAR, WAR, WAR, WAR, WARWARWARWARWARWARWARWARWARWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR but whatever.

That would be one of the weirder batting titles of all time.  I think he trumps Bill Mueller ('03), at least on par with Freddy Sanchez ('06), further out of nowhere than Carney Lansford ('81). Norm Cash might have the most what-the-heck title, when he hit .361 the only year of a 17-year-career that he hit .300.  Debs Garms was kind of an old Hanser Alberto, kind of a utility guy who hit .355 at the age of 33 with a PA total that wouldn't even qualify today.

Also, has anyone since 1900 even won a batting title with less than 15 walks? I kind of doubt it.  Alberto currently has 13.

Drungo-ism of the day: In 1890, the year of the Players League disruption, Louisville's Chicken Wolf* hit .363 and won the American Association batting title.  He had been in the league for eight years prior, had never hit over .300 before, and would be out of baseball in a little over a year.  That's a weird batting title.

* Given name William Van Winkle Wolf.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, interloper said:

Haha ok. I just thought it was interesting! He's had an incredible year. Plays good defense, starting to hit for power, and the "falling back to earth" thing just... never ended up happening. It's all super weird and interesting, IMO. 

It was a reference to Mancini being characterized that way.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Speaking of WAR, Hanser has a higher one than Macnini. 

Based on the numbers this nanosecond, it makes perfect sense to me.   Alberto’s OPS is currently at his season high (.800), whereas Mancini’s is the lowest it’s been since the all star break (.858).     We’ll see if this trend continues.

As a fan, you have to be flexible and not get your opinion of a player set in stone based on what he does the first two months of the year.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Based on the numbers this nanosecond, it makes perfect sense to me.   Alberto’s OPS is currently at his season high (.800), whereas Mancini’s is the lowest it’s been since the all star break (.858).     We’ll see if this trend continues.

As a fan, you have to be flexible and not get your opinion of a player set in stone based on what he does the first two months of the year.

Yep. It's wild that he's sustaining. I love watching him! I could see him repeating next year just as easily as I could see him OPSing .550.