Is there the hot stove radio show tonight?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I listened to some of this on my way home — 105.7 doesn’t come in very clearly in the DC area, but I fought through the static.   

David Hess is a very polite young man and he clearly gained some confidence over the season.   Jim Hunter asked him how he was able to throw to a 3.24 ERA in his last 11 starts.   Hess said there was a clear turning point for him in a game against Cleveland, when the bases were loaded with a 3-2 count.   Caleb Joseph called for a slider and Hess realized that that Caleb had the confidence in him to call for that pitch in that situation.    That’s when he recognized he should have the same confidence in himself that Caleb had in him.   He threw the pitch and it was crushed for a grand slam.   

No, just kidding.   He struck the batter out and got out of the inning.  Anyway, good story and a nice commentary on Caleb, too.

4 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

How can you root against Hess that's for sure? How huge it would be for the Orioles if he could turn out to be a decent number four starter? That would be absolutely huge if you ask me.

Don’t know how huge it would be, but I’d certainly take it. 

On 1/17/2019 at 8:13 PM, Frobby said:

I listened to some of this on my way home — 105.7 doesn’t come in very clearly in the DC area, but I fought through the static.   

David Hess is a very polite young man and he clearly gained some confidence over the season.   Jim Hunter asked him how he was able to throw to a 3.24 ERA in his last 11 starts.   Hess said there was a clear turning point for him in a game against Cleveland, when the bases were loaded with a 3-2 count.   Caleb Joseph called for a slider and Hess realized that that Caleb had the confidence in him to call for that pitch in that situation.    That’s when he recognized he should have the same confidence in himself that Caleb had in him.   He threw the pitch and it was crushed for a grand slam.   

No, just kidding.   He struck the batter out and got out of the inning.  Anyway, good story and a nice commentary on Caleb, too.

Melewski quotes Hess in more detail on this, and recounts the highlights of the Hess interview here:   http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/01/os-right-hander-david-hess-rode-one-big-pitch-to-a-strong-2018-finish.html

On 1/17/2019 at 8:13 PM, Frobby said:

Bold prediction. David Hess'  2019 era is almost 1/2 a point lower than Cashner's this season. 

5 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

If Hess is in the bullpen, I'd agree. 

I think he'll make the rotation...and it's more about how down I am on Cashner then it is an endorsement of Hess. He may not be Ubaldo bad, but I think he'll be close. His 2017 season was all smoke and mirrors. 

Archived