Orioles in the Hall of Fame Vote

orange23

On 1/17/2019 at 7:10 PM, Frobby said:

44.9% of the projected total ballots have been disclosed, and Mussina is at 82.2%.    None of the other ex-O’s are making any noise.   

Even though Mussina is at 82%, it’s borderline whether he’ll be at 75% when all votes are counted, because typically the voters who don’t make their votes public are much stingier with their votes than those who disclose their votes publicly.   

Current status here:  http://www.bbhoftracker.com/

Further details here: https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=F2E5D8FC5199DFAF!11134&ithint=file,xlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!ACeqm-knNxexBw8

It's going to be very close for Mussina.

At 48.8% counted, Mussina is down to 81.1%.  He has 163 votes out of 196.  Last year, there was a 6.5% difference between his counted % and actual %.  81.1% - 6.5% is 74.6%.  But there will probably be a few votes gained among the anonymous vote so it's going to be real close.

To put it another way, Mussina has a current +/- of 17 additional votes over ballots counted from last year.  He missed last year's election by 49 votes.  So if every voter were the same (they're not, I'm sure there is some turnover) he still needs to pick up 32 votes.

If anyone doesn't understand that the HOF is a political process, here you go.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

It's going to be very close for Mussina.

At 48.8% counted, Mussina is down to 81.1%.  He has 163 votes out of 196.  Last year, there was a 6.5% difference between his counted % and actual %.  81.1% - 6.5% is 74.6%.  But there will probably be a few votes gained among the anonymous vote so it's going to be real close.

To put it another way, Mussina has a current +/- of 17 additional votes over ballots counted from last year.  He missed last year's election by 49 votes.  So if every voter were the same (they're not, I'm sure there is some turnover) he still needs to pick up 32 votes.

If anyone doesn't understand that the HOF is a political process, here you go.

My guess is he’s going to fall a few votes short.   Less than ten. 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes.  One is going a bit too far in trying to win.  The other is compromising the integrity and threatening the continued existence of the sport.

Pete Rose should go in. They should just wait until he dies to put him in though.  

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Pete Rose should go in. They should just wait until he dies to put him in though.  

Whatever.  I don't get the point of taking an unrepentant cheater and liar and celebrating him.  Not unless his induction and plaque are clearly all about how being a scumbag who bets on baseball can destroy the life of even the best players.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think he should get a statue regardless.  Babe Ruth didn't go in the Hall of Fame as an O.

Babe Ruth has a museum in Baltimore.  Maybe Luis Aparicio would be a better comp.  His statue is at US Cellular Field catching a ball from Nellie Fox.

I think it is an open question whether Mussina will go in as an Orioles or Yankee. That said, if he does go in as an Oriole he should get the accompanying statue and retired number that every other Orioles Hall of Famer has gotten. It might be awkward to retire his number 35 after it has been issued since 2001, but it is not unprecedented across the league.

My guess is that this he won't be elected until next year. Hopefully the Orioles use the intervening year to further mend fences with Mussina.

6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Whatever.  I don't get the point of taking an unrepentant cheater and liar and celebrating him.  Not unless his induction and plaque are clearly all about how being a scumbag who bets on baseball can destroy the life of even the best players.

If Rose would have shown the slightest bit of remorse he likely would have gotten in by now. This is all on him.  

6 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I think it is an open question whether Mussina will go in as an Orioles or Yankee. That said, if he does go in as an Oriole he should get the accompanying statue and retired number that every other Orioles Hall of Famer has gotten. It might be awkward to retire his number 35 after it has been issued since 2001, but it is not unprecedented across the league.

My guess is that this he won't be elected until next year. Hopefully the Orioles use the intervening year to further mend fences with Mussina.

There are no fences to mend with Mike Mussina.  Mike has zero ill will towards the Orioles.  He was there when he was inducted to the Orioles Hall of Fame.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The man is a born liar.  Who would think he was actually remorseful? 

I was in Vegas at the Caeser's sports book years ago watching Pete bet on anything that moved,  horse races, dog races, etc.  Just absolutely manic the entire time.  Then when I got home the next week Nightline was on and here was Pete Rose telling Ted Koppel he couldn't remember the last time he made a wager. 

Archived