Spring Training Advice?

waroriole

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

My dad just retired and is going to spring training for a month this year. He’s a Tigers fan, but it’s close to Sarasota so when I go down for a week we’re headed there for some games. This is my first spring training. Any advice on what to see?

Going by yourself?

16 minutes ago, waroriole said:

My dad just retired and is going to spring training for a month this year. He’s a Tigers fan, but it’s close to Sarasota so when I go down for a week we’re headed there for some games. This is my first spring training. Any advice on what to see?

536509_3448249455574_1452044481_n.jpg?_n23814_1353456687064_7084232_n.jpg?_nc_ca23814_1353456607062_6724329_n.jpg?_nc_ca

If you don't mind the sun, take in a minor league game or 2 at the Minor League Complex. It's about 10-15 minutes from Ed Smith Stadium, is free to go in and watch, and you can interact with the players very, very easily. If you stand on the path leading to the fields, they walk right next to you and a lot of them will sit in the stands next to you.

You will also see atleast 2 games going on at once.

The downsides are: no shade at all, metal bleachers, you REALLY have to watch out for foul balls from the other field(s) (wife and I almost got drilled by one from the Canadian National Team vs. GCL/DSL Orioles while watching the Triple A teams. Got saved by a last minute "HEADS UP!" by Alex Wells and a few others...)

You can bring food/water as far as I know and there is a bathroom there. Players are super friendly, so you or your dad could get several pictures with prospects if you want. Games usually are at 1 and end by 3, so you can have a night free, or even head to a late game if the Orioles have one that night.

If you want to tailgate before a game, go to the Amish section of Sarasota (yes, it's a thing) and go to  Yoders Restaurant and get fried chicken.   It's incredibly good.

But be warned, they must have giant mutant chickens.   If you think your group might want 8 pieces...get 5 or 6.   Because if you get as many pieces as you think you need you will be eating leftovers the next several days.

One more in front of stadium - lots to do, which I am sure weams will recount.  Colombia Restaurant on St. Armand's Circle is top shelf cuisine and ambiance.  Dickie V hangs out so you may see him.  Beach is great but roads leading there are crowded.  I always liked parking just down the street from the stadium on the same side.  $20 and easy in and out and short walk to the front gate.  The public lot is a ways and your dad will love the convenience.  Have fun and bring back some photos and stories!

480994_10200725522251023_1851761800_n.jp

Spent time in Sarasota the last two springs and had a great time.    There are several nice state parks nearby, particularly Myakka River State Park which is 5-10 miles east of Twin Lakes where the MiL games are, off the same road.    The Marie Selby Botanical Gardens near downtown are well worth the visit, as is the Ringling Museum, which has both a fantastic art collection and also very interesting artifacts from circus life.    There are lots of restaurants in every price range.   And the ballpark is an absolute gem.    

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Spent time in Sarasota the last two springs and had a great time.    There are several nice state parks nearby, particularly Myakka River State Park which is 5-10 miles east of Twin Lakes where the MiL games are, off the same road.    The Marie Selby Botanical Gardens near downtown are well worth the visit, as is the Ringling Museum, which has both a fantastic art collection and also very interesting artifacts from circus life.    There are lots of restaurants in every price range.   And the ballpark is an absolute gem.    

Will you be there this spring?  I could go to games in Port Charlotte (Rays/SS) on 3/9 or 3/10 at Ed Smith vs. Phils since I'll be in Bradenton.  Not sure if I can get my crew to join me though.

I went with a friend a couple seasons ago. We stayed at some shady motel near the airport, but took an Uber to downtown Sarasota one evening. I wish I had names of places we went to, but there were a bunch of bars and restaurants. It was a really nice downtown scene. There are some really nice beaches, which we didn't have time to see. I believe Siesta Key is supposed to be the most noteworthy, but I could be wrong. 

I'm sorry for my lack of details, but my point is that there is plenty to do and you'll have a great time! I hope to make it back one day.

16 hours ago, waroriole said:

It depends on your definition of close. The Tigers are in Lakeland which is probably about an hour and a half or so from Sarasota. The beaches in the area are nice: Siesta Key, Longboat Key, Lido, etc. It's really hard to go wrong. I like Longboat and Siesta the best. The downtown area is nice and there are plenty of good restaurants in the area to enjoy. The area has a lot. It's one of may favorite areas in Florida (I live in the Orlando area now).

3 hours ago, bobmc said:

Will you be there this spring?  I could go to games in Port Charlotte (Rays/SS) on 3/9 or 3/10 at Ed Smith vs. Phils since I'll be in Bradenton.  Not sure if I can get my crew to join me though.

Alas, I don’t think it’s in the cards this year.   Would love to hang out with you down there.   

Archived