Trezza 2/1/19: Will O's target star Cuban SS Sanchez?

Greg Pappas

It’s not my money but I’d love to see them use what they have. That Gausman deal looks like a joke at this point and even a signing like Sanchez, as unexciting as it is, would provide some type of depth and value to the deal overall.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trezza says in the article, "Now Sanchez could provide an opportunity for Elias to jump-start the Orioles' rebuild earlier than anticipated." Yet he also says that Sanchez is roughly the equivalent to a 2nd-3rd round draft pick (college aged). You can't "jump start" a rebuild on that kind of player. Odd wording, in my view. I do want to see us add the young man, but as others have said, I'll trust in what Elias wants to do.

7 minutes ago, TGO said:

Who's left from that delegation? Isn't it just Brady?

I think Qualls may have gone.   

Edit - I’m wrong, but Dean Albany and Calvin Maduro went, along with a few guys no longer with the O’s.   

On 2/3/2019 at 12:07 PM, Moose Milligan said:

I'm into it.  Gotta horde talent, gotta get as much as we can to see what sticks and what doesn't.  We've got the international money, might as well use it. 

On 2/3/2019 at 12:31 PM, bobmc said:

Well unless our anointed saviour (did I say that? ?) decides he doesn't want to, to wit: 

“We’re keeping an eye on everything that develops internationally,” he said. “I’m not going to comment on specific players. But certainly we are aware of any new entrants to the market. We have a significant amount of unspent bonus pool cap space, but that doesn’t mean we are going to use it. Because we want to spend these dollars responsibly, because these are dollars we can invest in other aspects in our department."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/01/talking-with-mike-elias-for-a-q-and-a-on-player-development-and-the-farm.html

On 2/3/2019 at 12:36 PM, Moose Milligan said:

I bow down to the genius of Elias.  

I'd be curious to see how else he'd plan on investing the remaining dollars if he doesn't spend it on Sanchez and others.  He keeps things close to the vest, I doubt it'd ever come to light but it'd be cool to see.

On 2/3/2019 at 12:58 PM, AceKing said:

Man, you all need to relax and let the new guys work.  Doom and gloom aplenty here.  He hasn’t even had the workout yet, right?

I’m hoping he’s being coy about using the dollars to avoid showing his hand. Saying “well use all of our remaining pool on him if need be,” would demolish all negotiating leverage. 

On 2/3/2019 at 4:01 PM, WalkWithElias said:

Martin and Jackson are out of options and need to be on the ML roster. It sounds like this guy would need time in the minors. A 22 year old college SS taken in the 2-3 round is on par with Cadyn Grenier. This would be adding a guy to our Top 15 prospects for whatever dollar figure it costs and seeing if he develops. 

They are Rule 5 guys. It’s not a question of options.

however, I want to keep both Jackson and Martin, so this fellow, if signed, should head for the minors.

Archived