Spring Training Observations and Photos/Video Thread

wildcard

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

It gives the  impression that doesn't care. I don't care if he is required or not. He was such a boob last year. Seems to me that he would want to be there for these new coaches to see that this season will be a turnaround for him.  Now he may be a jerk and just doesn't care. IMO 

What Tx said!!!     Get there CD.  

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Even Trumbo and Mancini are there early. Mancini struggled last year and is getting early work in. Trumbo is Mr. Anti Fun and getting work in. Even Mr. "If My Name Was Smith, Would Anyone Care About Me" Yastrzemski is there early, getting work in.

Is Villar there?   Nunez?   Are the Rule 5 guys there?   Mullins?   Stewart?

I really don’t care when Davis shows up.    Just show up in shape and show me you can hit the damned ball.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I really don’t care when Davis shows up.    Just show up in shape and show me you can hit the damned ball.

I wouldn’t mind if he never showed.

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Richie Martin is there. 

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he's in a position to gain 15 pounds of lean muscle that quickly he's either getting help he was in way worse shape to start than we thought.

I doubt he gained 15 pounds of muscle while also losing 25 pounds overall.

19 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I agree with this, it's hard to gain any lean muscle while simultaneously losing body fat unless one is substantially de-trained, something I wouldn't expect from a professional athlete, even a robustly built one.  

Man... You guys sound like you’re talking about RBIs and Wins when it comes to excercise. 

It’s entirely possible to decrease body fat % while adding lean muscle. It’s hard as hell. That’s why I mentioned that he deserved a lot of credit if that were the case. 

The knock on the guy is that he was always out of shape. I’m sure he got pulled aside by the O’s and was given a nutrition and workout plan(Hello Brady).  Some people are just naturally/genetically built. He could have easily made it this far without really dedicating himself to a lifting program before. 

20 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Man 25 lbs is hard as hell to lose in only Nov-Feb. If he’s working out the right way then he’s lifting and gaining muscle too. I give the guy credit.

He’s going to get lots of innings in ST. He’s in a unique category compared to the others. He has a he has a higher MLB ceiling than Hess, Rogers, Ramirez and Co. He’s actually MLB ready compared to Akin, Tate(not high on), Kremer, and Co. 

I’ll root for the “fat” guys this year. Ortiz and Stewart. 

Not intended specifically at you.

The way they look is because of their DNA. They may not be fat or out of shape. Babe Ruth and quite a few others say Hi.

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Man... You guys sound like you’re talking about RBIs and Wins when it comes to excercise. 

It’s entirely possible to decrease body fat % while adding lean muscle. It’s hard as hell. That’s why I mentioned that he deserved a lot of credit if that were the case. 

The knock on the guy is that he was always out of shape. I’m sure he got pulled aside by the O’s and was given a nutrition and workout plan(Hello Brady).  Some people are just naturally/genetically built. He could have easily made it this far without really dedicating himself to a lifting program before. 

How is that any different than what I said?

It's actually not particularly difficult with someone who has a good bit of body fat and limited training history. You just have them gradually increase training volume with low/moderate intensity and eat to recomp. It's pretty common to see significant body comp improvements on an untrained subject. 

Luis Ortiz regardless of how much body fat he has doesn't fit that profile. He's been playing sports year-round for 10+ years and strength training at least since he got into pro ball. So it's going to be difficult for him to gain lean muscle without a caloric surplus. There shouldn't be any low-hanging muscle gains to be had. Maybe you could put him on a lower carb, high protein recomp diet and significantly push total volume and get a little bit of +muscle, -BF. That would likely be too intensive to recover well from once he started his throwing program though and the progress would been amazingly slow. 

To lose the overall poundage that Ortiz lost, he was obviously on a caloric deficit. Show me a study showing highly trained athletes gaining any significant amount of muscle mass on a caloric deficit. 

On 2/14/2019 at 6:38 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I think showing up early would be an indication that he was coming in with the right attitude.

On 2/14/2019 at 6:44 PM, Frobby said:

Whatever.    He still has three days to arrive and be early.   

Which he did.   So now people are harping on Davis actually answering questions in an interview.   

I’ve really noticed how a lot of people here start harping on players’ personal attributes when their performance takes a downturn or they join a different team.    

(Corn, this comment is not directed at you.)

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve really noticed how a lot of people here start harping on players’ personal attributes when their performance takes a downturn or they join a different team.    

You mean how people are calling him a liar because he lied?

Yeah, awful.

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Which he did.   So now people are harping on Davis actually answering questions in an interview.   

(Corn, this comment is not directed at you.)

I'm not gonna harp on his personal attributes because I feel for the guy a little bit even though I can't wait for the day they get rid of him.  I will say it's odd that he comes across as a bit disgruntled that people are disgruntled at him for his terrible performance.  

Archived