Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

Just now, Dark Helmet said:

Ubaldo wasn't white. He wasn't  booed out of town. Race had nothing to do with why Davis isn't booed. Give me a break.

Someone compared Davis and Eddie. I was bringing up one of the differences. Ubaldo has nothing to do with it. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Someone compared Davis and Eddie. I was bringing up one of the differences. Ubaldo has nothing to do with it. 

Ubaldo does have something to do with it. My point is...Baltimore fans of today won't boo a player out of town because they are bad. What has nothing to do with it is race.

24 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

True. But those were more die-hard fans in a different era.  Most fans now are casual and really don't care as much imo.

And Murray had the reputation as a bad guy. Davis is perceived Mich differently.  He comes across as a very likeable g iy. Where Murray didn't. 

Murray had a reputation as a bad guy?  Where is this coming from? He was a quiet guy who didn't like talking to the press.  That makes him a bad guy?  

Edited by POR

25 minutes ago, POR said:

Murray had a reputation as a bad guy?  Where is this coming from? He was a quiet guy who didn't like talking to the press.  That makes him a bad guy?  

I didn't say he was a bad guy.  I said he had that reputation. And as you stated, that was media generated. I never once said he was a bad guy.

Davis will be still be owed $92 million after the 2018 season and there is no reason for him to sacrifice a single penny except for the possibility of some disapproval from the fans.  I don't know about you, but $92 million would thicken my skin considerably.  I suppose there might be a breaking point even so.

I don't feel like reviewing the Uniform Players Contract at the moment, but that would be the first place to look to see what, if any, prohibitions might exist preventing a buyout from happening.  If none exist and CD was agreeable, then I would buy him an annuity incrementally paying off the full amount over the 30 years immediately following his retirement.  That would be a significant savings for the Orioles and even allow them to fund it over time.

Does anyone know if something like that would have consequences in regard to the luxury tax?

7 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Ubaldo does have something to do with it. My point is...Baltimore fans of today won't boo a player out of town because they are bad. What has nothing to do with it is race.

Eddie wasn't bad when he was run out of town. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't compare Davis and Eddie. One is a bad white player who won't be run out of town, the other was a good black player who was run out of town. So, they shouldn't be compared unless you want race brought into the discussion.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Eddie wasn't bad when he was run out of town. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't compare Davis and Eddie. One is a bad white player who won't be run out of town, the other was a good black player who was run out of town. So, they shouldn't be compared unless you want race brought into the discussion.

I didn't even bring up Eddie. Nor race.

4 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Davis will be still be owed $92 million after the 2018 season and there is no reason for him to sacrifice a single penny except for the possibility of some disapproval from the fans.  I don't know about you, but $92 million would thicken my skin considerably.  I suppose there might be a breaking point even so.

I don't feel like reviewing the Uniform Players Contract at the moment, but that would be the first place to look to see what, if any, prohibitions might exist preventing a buyout from happening.  If none exist and CD was agreeable, then I would buy him an annuity incrementally paying off the full amount over the 30 years immediately following his retirement.  That would be a significant savings for the Orioles and even allow them to fund it over time.

Does anyone know if something like that would have consequences in regard to the luxury tax?

I don't know.  Yes 92M is a ton of money for coming to work every day and doing a poor job.  On the other hand 82M is a ton of money for being asked to retire at 33.

If it were me I leave the 10M on the table and go buy a plane.

11 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I didn't say he was a bad guy.  I said he had that reputation. And as you stated, that was media generated. I never once said he was a bad guy.

Murray did not have a reputation for being a bad guy.  His teammates and managers all talked about him as being a great guy.  He was also extremely involved in the community and with charities.  I don't understand your point at all.    

6 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I didn't even bring up Eddie. Nor race.

I quoted you talking about Eddie. You said he had a reputation as a bad guy. There were two reasons for that reputation:

1. He didn't like to talk to the press (which they took out on him)
  2. His skin color

Players and people who knew him personally didn't see him as a bad guy at all.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I would think that it might have the opposite effect. He has way more money than he will ever need

Would 20 million be worth saving the embarrassment of performing at such a low level. He is on pace to be the worst player in MLB and perhaps set some historical records. I think he might accept a buyout to avoid such acclaim, and don't most people want to think they earn their salary?

22 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I quoted you talking about Eddie. You said he had a reputation as a bad guy. There were two reasons for that reputation:

1. He didn't like to talk to the press (which they took out on him)
  2. His skin color

Players and people who knew him personally didn't see him as a bad guy at all.

Again, I was responding to someone who brought up Eddie. Other than that, I wouldn't even had brought him up. I loved Eddie 

52 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

First off, I would give Davis the rest of this year to see if there is any hope at all.   Assuming there isn't, I would approach him about reaching a settlement on his contract where the Orioles can save something.  Anything.    Obviously, Davis is entitled to the contract in it's entirety.       

They are deferring $6MM so that's $42 MM, in a pot to be paid on some future schedule. Why not just add the remaining $68 MM (after this year) to that pot and agree on a payout schedule between $3-4 MM per year for the next 30 years to just go away? Buck would never agree but maybe PA is losing faith in Buck based on the performance of Buck's choices.