Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

1 minute ago, AceKing said:

Elias and the new regime will give Chris Davis EVERY CHANCE THEY CAN to get right, as a member of the Baltimore Orioles and under this contract.  Period.

They believe they can improve player performance through coaching and data, and they inherited him with the rest of the team. They have seen him when he was doing well, and seen him recently.

They will NOT allow Chris Davis to move on from this contract and team, and then go to some other team to find himself again.

We have Chris until he gets better.  If it does not happen, we have him for a longer time until he does.  They will keep working with him, but they will not swallow the contract and watch him hit somewhere else.

Cool, glad you're so certain about everything.  

Wonder how they're gonna analytic that molasses slow bat.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hate to burst your bubble, Moose, but this all makes perfect sense right now. He is under this contract, and this is the Baltimore Orioles.  Peter Angelos Signed him, and is still alive.  I’m pretty certain.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

There’s the issue.    If the analytics say the bat speed is gone and there’s not a damned thing you can do about it, you have to cut bait.   

Just now, Frobby said:

There’s the issue.    If the analytics say the bat speed is gone and there’s not a damned thing you can do about it, you have to cut bait.   

But why?  They are not trying to win right now.  They accepted losing in Houston for the greater good.  They have no incentive to cut him.  Even if he strikes out 600 times

1 minute ago, AceKing said:

But why?  They are not trying to win right now.  They accepted losing in Houston for the greater good.  They have no incentive to cut him.  Even if he strikes out 600 times

Because he frees up roster flexibility.

Do you want Davis striking out 600 times the next 3 or 4 years or however the hell much longer is left on that contract?  Do you want Mancini in leftfield or at first base with LF open for a guy like Diaz or Mountcastle?  Do you want our young guys getting a look in Baltimore if they're ready or Davis' anemic bat in the lineup?  

There's accepting losing for the greater good and then there's just being flat out stupid.  And if Davis can't get it together, keeping him is flat out stupid.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Oh no, we've got Davis for the length of the contract.  

Period.  

Returning this conversation to realist mode: there’s a big difference between tolerating an overpaid player who is hovering around replacement level (2017 Davis) and tolerating a guy who’s nearly three wins below replacement level (2018 Davis).    There’s no way to keep the latter guy on the roster for very long.    It kills morale of every other player on the team and all the guys busting their butts trying to get out of the minors.    I do not believe it will take Elias years to determine whether Davis’ problems are renediable.     It will be obvious enough this year whether there’s any hope to salvage anything here.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Returning this conversation to realist mode: there’s a big difference between tolerating an overpaid player who is hovering around replacement level (2017 Davis) and tolerating a guy who’s nearly three wins below replacement level (2018 Davis).    There’s no way to keep the latter guy on the roster for very long.    It kills morale of every other player on the team and all the guys busting their butts trying to get out of the minors.    I do not believe it will take Elias years to determine whether Davis’ problems are renediable.     It will be obvious enough this year whether there’s any hope to salvage anything here.   

Yes, exactly.  

I'd actually be pretty happy with 2017 level Davis moving forward.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Because he frees up roster flexibility.

Do you want Davis striking out 600 times the next 3 or 4 years or however the hell much longer is left on that contract?  Do you want Mancini in leftfield or at first base with LF open for a guy like Diaz or Mountcastle?  Do you want our young guys getting a look in Baltimore if they're ready or Davis' anemic bat in the lineup?  

There's accepting losing for the greater good and then there's just being flat out stupid.  And if Davis can't get it together, keeping him is flat out stupid.

I agree...I never said I liked it, but this is a new GM and a new Manager and the same old Angelos family.

They will try desperately to move him, I am sure, but they won’t cut bait without trying

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't see that happening.  Under the old regime, maybe.  But Elias seems to have a plan, and if Davis is playing like he did last year I don't see Elias messing around.

I would hope not. I'm just so frustrated with Davis and his contract. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, AceKing said:

I agree...I never said I liked it, but this is a new GM and a new Manager and the same old Angelos family.

They will try desperately to move him, I am sure, but they won’t cut bait without trying

I am not sure anyone would take him, even if we pay 100% of his salary.  There's no value there if he continues to play at this level.  He'd be a detriment to any team, even if that team was starved for 1B production.  They'd be better off getting a AAAA guy up, most likely.

Davis provides more value to the Orioles by NOT playing.  From a roster flexibility standpoint, from a 1B production standpoint, he provides more value by being cut.  

I get letting Elias trying to iron him out, I'm cool with that.  It makes sense, but up until a certain point.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So it is realistic to think that the Baltimore Orioles will swallow 80 million plus dollars?  

You know the team extremely well.  Where at all is that realistic?