Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

14 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Where is Charlie Lau when you need him?  

I think the game is slowly going back to that approach. Watching teams like the Red Sox and Braves having success by putting the ball in play will likely lead to other teams following that method. 

I think the bullpen arms and usage of them requires a change in philosophy. These power arms take advantage of one trick pony hitters that fill the O’s roster. Chris Davis is obviously the poster child. I really hope the new leadership changes the organizational approach to hitting.

Edited by turtlebowl

9 hours ago, turtlebowl said:

I think the game is slowly going back to that approach. Watching teams like the Red Sox and Braves having success by putting the ball in play will likely lead to other teams following that method. 

I think the bullpen arms and usage of them requires a change in philosophy. These power arms take advantage of one trick pony hitters that fill the O’s roster. Chris Davis is obviously the poster child. I really hope the new leadership changes the organizational approach to hitting.

Don't know if the whole game is going back to it, but I agree with you that we will likely need to.

Bunts, sack flies, and getting the ball in play is how you put pressure on another team to perform.  Since we won't be spending big money, or likely any money in FA, on HR guys, they better be prepared to start earning their keep with a more traditional, small ball, kind of game. 

8 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

How sad to have paid CD 161 million, and watch Steve Pearce in  the WS, a superior player in every facet of the game

At this point in time, you could say that about 500-1000 players at least.   But what’s the point.   In 2013 and 2015 combined, Davis hit more homers than Pearce has had in his 12 year career.    Pearce is a good role player who has helped a lot of teams, including the Orioles for a time.   But he’s really got nothing to do with Davis.

2 hours ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

Don't know if the whole game is going back to it, but I agree with you that we will likely need to.

Bunts, sack flies, and getting the ball in play is how you put pressure on another team to perform.  Since we won't be spending big money, or likely any money in FA, on HR guys, they better be prepared to start earning their keep with a more traditional, small ball, kind of game. 

Most quality teams are putting bullpens together that have 3 or more plus arms. From the 6th inning on its almost like you are facing a new closer every inning. These guys are typically high strikeout percentage types. It’s not a good trend for teams that are all or nothing. This bullpen trend is indisputable and now the offensive side has to make adjustments. Some teams have started that, the Orioles haven’t. 

The old theory of trying to knock a starter out to get to the bullpen is just not the case as much anymore. Game is always evolving.

1 minute ago, turtlebowl said:

Most quality teams are putting bullpens together that have 3 or more plus arms. From the 6th inning on its almost like you are facing a new closer every inning. These guys are typically high strikeout percentage types. It’s not a good trend for teams that are all or nothing. This bullpen trend is indisputable and now the offensive side has to make adjustments. Some teams have started that, the Orioles haven’t. 

The old theory of trying to knock a starter out to get to the bullpen is just not the case as much anymore. Game is always evolving.

That's a good point.  Yet having a team full of one dimensional hitters is not a good idea, obviously.  I think we were actually leading the league there for a bit with having quality arms in the pen to do just what you are saying.  It's very interesting to see how the game gives and takes and the adjustments teams make to the changes.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

I've been telling Roy that in the game threads for about five years now.  ?

11 hours ago, turtlebowl said:

I agree that's the trend. But I think that approach can still be productive against the top starters on weaker teams, whose least imposing pitchers are the relievers who will come in during the middle innings -- the Mike Wright types. That's especially true over the course of a three- or four-game series against a team like that. It can even be an effective approach against good teams if the quality of their pens is impaired by injuries.

The strategy is not going to work too well in the playoffs and (especially) the World Series, where the teams and bullpens tend to be strong to begin with -- though the Dodgers' relievers have been unimpressive -- the pens are fortified with starters, and managers are willing to squeeze consecutive appearances and additional innings out of their best relievers.

43 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Assuming Davis doesn't improve, how hard will it be for a manager to build a positive culture in that clubhouse? He's like a turd in the corner that you have to carry with you everywhere.

Get rid of Davis if that is the case. 

51 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Assuming Davis doesn't improve, how hard will it be for a manager to build a positive culture in that clubhouse? He's like a turd in the corner that you have to carry with you everywhere.

7 minutes ago, weams said:

Get rid of Davis if that is the case. 

I think Davis has to show significant improvement next year, or be gone.   I’d give him plenty of rope with which to hang himself for 2-3 months, then cut the cord if his performance warrants it.  

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Davis has to show significant improvement next year, or be gone.   I’d give him plenty of rope with which to hang himself for 2-3 months, then cut the cord if his performance warrants it.  

I think a president needs to have that authority. 

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This...  It's not like he wasn't already given every chance.  His season was not a slump...at least it didn't appear to be.  I think if there isn't ample reason to keep him he has to go.  Credibility of President, GM and Manager would all suffer otherwise.  Everyone knows that.  

I hope Davis proves everyone wrong and is at least a decent regular.  But that is a significant improvement from 2018.  Furthermore, hoping for that and expecting it are two different things.  If Davis has declined and las year is what he is, he cannot stay on the team and I for one will give credit to ownership and new leadership that they would recognize that and move on.  Damage done.  Move forward.