Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Davis has to show significant improvement next year, or be gone.   I’d give him plenty of rope with which to hang himself for 2-3 months, then cut the cord if his performance warrants it.  

I'd give him spring training and two months as long as he is making an effort to change and improve. If he starts to show some progress, give him more time. But if he makes no effort to change his approach in spring training, bounce him.

6 hours ago, foxfield said:

This...  It's not like he wasn't already given every chance.  His season was not a slump...at least it didn't appear to be.  I think if there isn't ample reason to keep him he has to go.  Credibility of President, GM and Manager would all suffer otherwise.  Everyone knows that.  

I hope Davis proves everyone wrong and is at least a decent regular.  But that is a significant improvement from 2018.  Furthermore, hoping for that and expecting it are two different things.  If Davis has declined and las year is what he is, he cannot stay on the team and I for one will give credit to ownership and new leadership that they would recognize that and move on.  Damage done.  Move forward.

He was terrible the last 100 games in 2017.  So it would be a 250 plus game slump.  I don't know that anyone has ever come back from that long of a slump.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

He was terrible the last 100 games in 2017.  So it would be a 250 plus game slump.  I don't know that anyone has ever come back from that long of a slump.

Davis has been slumping since the 2016 all star break.  Barring a miracle he is done.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=davisch02&year=2016&t=b

1 hour ago, atomic said:

While I think there are folks here with different levels of hope...this is undeniably true.  He is almost certainly through as a power hitting monster.  The real question is can he be a 1 to 2 war player and the evidence says...not very likely.

12 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Davis has been slumping since the 2016 all star break.  Barring a miracle he is done.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=davisch02&year=2016&t=b

Through the first 38 games in 2017 he had a .265 average and a .910 OPS.  I would consider that period a non slump.  Also the Orioles were winning during that period. Chris hasn't hit since then and the team hasn't won since then.

21 hours ago, weams said:

I think a president needs to have that authority. 

20 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'd give him spring training and two months as long as he is making an effort to change and improve. If he starts to show some progress, give him more time. But if he makes no effort to change his approach in spring training, bounce him.

We will see how far the acorns fall from the tree pretty quickly.  The old man typically wouldn’t eat much on free agent contracts (think Ubaldo just as one of many)  and he sure as heck would not be eating 70 million or whatever on this deal.   Heck, the old man probably would have canned Duquette in 2015 after the Toronto situation except he would have had to eat the money.   His philosophy was I paid you, you work for me. 

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

We will see how far the acorns fall from the tree pretty quickly.  The old man typically wouldn’t eat much on free agent contracts (think Ubaldo just as one of many)  and he sure as heck would not be eating 70 million or whatever on this deal.   Heck, the old man probably would have canned Duquette in 2015 after the Toronto situation except he would have had to eat the money.   His philosophy was I paid you, you work for me. 

Naw, if you can him than Toronto could hire him.

From the sons moves they seem trying to save every dollar.  I don't think there is much chance they release Davis.  What if he gets hot?  They might get someone take on 8 million dollars of his contract.  If both Bundy and him get hot you could package them and maybe save 20 million.

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

I've been saying for awhile that they just need to cut bait.  I know it is unlikely given how you've put it so precisely (with the bolded part especially...), yet I think unless the tree is located on a hill, those acorns are likely in the shade of the tree...

That said, this is more than a mere slump as others have stated and it's the highest paid player on the team.  What's most troublesome to me is how he sounded in the SI interview and the lack of adjustment he's made over the past two seasons.  You can't have your highest paid player appearing deflated and uninspired on a team that is rebuilding.  Maybe it can be tolerated for this season just to see what happens because we are going to be terrible again so who cares about trotting out a once potent hitter to see if he can get it together.  But I'd be even more adamant about dumping him sooner than later if by the All-Star Break he is still stinking up the joint.  I don't want a constant reminder of failure being a part of a young team, it's bad for morale.

47 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I've been saying for awhile that they just need to cut bait.  I know it is unlikely given how you've put it so precisely (with the bolded part especially...), yet I think unless the tree is located on a hill, those acorns are likely in the shade of the tree...

That said, this is more than a mere slump as others have stated and it's the highest paid player on the team.  What's most troublesome to me is how he sounded in the SI interview and the lack of adjustment he's made over the past two seasons.  You can't have your highest paid player appearing deflated and uninspired on a team that is rebuilding.  Maybe it can be tolerated for this season just to see what happens because we are going to be terrible again so who cares about trotting out a once potent hitter to see if he can get it together.  But I'd be even more adamant about dumping him sooner than later if by the All-Star Break he is still stinking up the joint.  I don't want a constant reminder of failure being a part of a young team, it's bad for morale.

127 million of bait. 

I was saying during the trade deadline that the Orioles should trade Machado/Davis to the Dodgers for peanuts and let the Dodgers pay Davis to go away.

Yeah, its nice to have Yusniel now, but damn it would’ve been great to have that albatross gone.  

I wonder how the market would’ve developed had the Orioles told teams that Machado/Davis were a package deal and they could have them for peanuts but have to assume Davis’ contract in its entirety.

With our luck the Yankees would’ve been the only takers and he would’ve made a full recovery.