Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not at all.

But the offseason is the time to speculate about the future correct?

I certainly can't talk about how bad the starting pitching was last night.

Also the idea that Davis can increase his WAR by four or so wins at 33 is pretty unrealistic.  That would have been a topic for last season when he was pretty much replacement level.

If Davis increased his WAR by 4 he would only have 1 WAR.  I doesn't seem unrealistic for a 33 year old slugger to have 1 WAR.  If bunted every time he got up he could probably manage 1 WAR.  

15 hours ago, weams said:

If the Orioles could salvage 25 million off the contract by trading him, I'd say do it in a heartbeat. But they can't.. 

Maybe and maybe not.  A sack of balls would be better than nothing.  Regardless, one way or another, the smoke here makes me feel like his days are numbered.  And I say thank goodness to that.

15 hours ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

What's interesting to consider is whether Elias has HAD the Davis conversation with the Bros Angelos already or prior to his hire.  Who knows? 

I'm assuming it had to be a big topic to cover.  Davis, IMO, represents a large roadblock in moving forward from a roster perspective and a fiscal perspective.  

I would bet that ME has a plan for Davis.  Guess we'll see what happens.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm assuming it had to be a big topic to cover.  Davis, IMO, represents a large roadblock in moving forward from a roster perspective and a fiscal perspective.  

I would bet that ME has a plan for Davis.  Guess we'll see what happens.

I'm thinking the same thing.  That contract is antithetical to everything Houston and St. Louis have done while ME was involved with them.  Something has got to give, but the cow no longer gives milk, so... The Bros, if they are honest with themselves, and I'm willing to accept for now they will be, as a token of this exceptional hiring, have to see the folly of allowing CD to take the field for another season if the level of shear suck continues. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I'm thinking the same thing.  That contract is antithetical to everything Houston and St. Louis have done while ME was involved with them.  Something has got to give, but the cow no longer gives milk, so... The Bros, if they are honest with themselves, and I'm willing to accept for now they will be, as a token of this exceptional hiring, have to see the folly of allowing CD to take the field for another season if the level of shear suck continues. 

Elias discussed Davis and it sounds as if they’d like to try and fix him. 

I would hook him up with a hitting coach who can either suggest changes or try to get him back to what he was doing successfully.

3 hours ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

From their opinion they have nothing to lose by letting hon .160 again. There is a very slim chance he bounces back and maybe you get a team to trade for him. Of course you would still have to pick up most of his contact.  But say if someone picks up 12 million of his total contract that is still 12 million dollar savings.  Also he could get serious injury that insurance would pick up or small chance he could agree to buy out.

14 minutes ago, atomic said:

From their opinion they have nothing to lose by letting hon .160 again. There is a very slim chance he bounces back and maybe you get a team to trade for him. Of course you would still have to pick up most of his contact.  But say if someone picks up 12 million of his total contract that is still 12 million dollar savings.  Also he could get serious injury that insurance would pick up or small chance he could agree to buy out.

...and I think that is what the agreed upon plan probably is.  Whatever happens, he continues the road thru Suckville or he bounces back a little or a lot, he's gone.  If money can be salvaged in any scenario great, but if not, the farce that is running him out there every night has to end. 

Edited by drjohnnyfeva
punctuation...

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Elias discussed Davis and it sounds as if they’d like to try and fix him. 

I would hook him up with a hitting coach who can either suggest changes or try to get him back to what he was doing successfully.

Interesting point. It's hard to believe that a man could lose all athletic ability in his late 20s. I can only imagine Chris's issues are more holistic -- maybe even some life issues, etc., combining with the on-field challenges, etc. 

What I like about Elias is his first instinct: help our current players to maximize their talents. He didn't talk about the roster complications, or the money factor. He talked about helping our guy maximize his abilities, with information, expertise, support, et al. 

That's very different from the kinds of messages we've heard at times. 

Still, we'll see if Chris actually opens his mind to this new stuff. I'm sure he's mortified at his results. If he's unwilling to work to change them, then he should be benched until he's ready to get un-selfish. I still root for CD, of course, but at some point... it ain't workin.

8 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

Interesting point. It's hard to believe that a man could lose all athletic ability in his late 20s. I can only imagine Chris's issues are more holistic -- maybe even some life issues, etc., combining with the on-field challenges, etc.

Chris is 32.   He’s been in his 30’s the whole time he’s been declining from his 2015 season.   And there are several other players with his high K profile who suffered similar declines.    

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Chris is 32.   He’s been in his 30’s the whole time he’s been declining from his 2015 season.   And there are several other players with his high K profile who suffered similar declines.    

He needs to change from a high K profile.  If he keeps swinging for the fences on every swing he will continue to be even worse than worthless player.  The Astros worked with Springer to get him to strike out less.  Davis needs to change his approach.  Otherwise the  word Davis can become synonymous with being the worst at something. 

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

He needs to change from a high K profile.  If he keeps swinging for the fences on every swing he will continue to be even worse than worthless player.  The Astros worked with Springer to get him to strike out less.  Davis needs to change his approach.  Otherwise the  word Davis can become synonymous with being the worst at something. 

I think it’s too late to get Davis to significantly improve his contact rate.   It’s much easier to work on that with a guy who hasn’t yet lost a lot of bat speed or reaction time, than a 33-year old who is losing those things and whose success has always come from being a low-contact power guy.    My biggest issue with Davis is he isn’t hitting it as hard when he does hit it.

12 hours ago, atomic said:

I'd be shocked if they can get Davis to be demonstrably better.  I'm glad they have the right people in place, however.  

But yes, Davis & Davis open for worst ever business.

Davis.jpg

260px-Chris_Davis_on_August_10,_2011.jpg

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yes. Especially ones who suffered suspensions for PED abuse. 

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd be shocked if they can get Davis to be demonstrably better.  I'm glad they have the right people in place, however.  

But yes, Davis & Davis open for worst ever business.

Davis.jpg

260px-Chris_Davis_on_August_10,_2011.jpg

I am all for a Davis ban across the organization. I know that would have Eliminated Eric and Storm. But so be it. 

• Upvote 3