Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I see he is not in the starting line up tonight.  I think it would be a good idea to give him a couple weeks off to work with this technology and the coaches to figure some things out.

Yeah, I think we'll start to see him less and less in the lineup, but I think he'll still play as he works on things. None of it is likely to help, but they have to try. They can't simply leave it to his offseason workout approach and some Don Long advice. They need to get in there and see if there's anything to salvage. There probably isn't. If there is, it would take - as I've been saying for a long time - a complete teardown of his mechanics and rebuild of what kind of hitter he even is. Maybe you take the power out of his game completely. I don't know.

I still think if you're not going to release him you should make him a relief pitcher. But that's not going to happen. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Yeah, I think we'll start to see him less and less in the lineup, but I think he'll still play as he works on things. None of it is likely to help, but they have to try. They can't simply leave it to his offseason workout approach and some Don Long advice. They need to get in there and see if there's anything to salvage. There probably isn't. If there is, it would take - as I've been saying for a long time - a complete teardown of his mechanics and rebuild of what kind of hitter he even is. Maybe you take the power out of his game completely. I don't know.

I still think if you're not going to release him you should make him a relief pitcher. But that's not going to happen. 

Shouldn't they have been doing this since day one of spring training, well the first day he got over his illness.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Out of sight out of mind.

I'll just pretend they got a rule V guy stashed in the bullpen that never gets into games.

I still think Chris Davis ABs are one of the more interesting/bizarre things to watch in an Orioles game. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I think the most frustrating part of all of this is that it was completely ignored in Spring Training.  It wasn't like there was a small sample size of poor performance it had been going on for over a year coming into this season.  Why didn't they start rebuilding his swing in February instead of waiting until now?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Shouldn't they have been doing this since day one of spring training, well the first day he got over his illness.

Arguably. And who knows, maybe they have. But we have to remember that Elias probably had a priority to focus on getting pitcher data. He also is careful about easing players into the whole data thing. And he did state he liked the work that he did in the offseason and would wait to see how that panned out before getting involved. I think that's fair to your coaching staff and the player. And if this IS the beginning of his intervention, it's much sooner than I'd have guessed. It's only been 10 games, I figured they'd give him a month. 

10 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I think the most frustrating part of all of this is that it was completely ignored in Spring Training.  It wasn't like there was a small sample size of poor performance it had been going on for over a year coming into this season.  Why didn't they start rebuilding his swing in February instead of waiting until now?

10 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Maybe Davis wasn't receptive in the Spring. Now that he has set the record he might be a little more willing to make some changes. 

8 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I see he is not in the starting line up tonight.  I think it would be a good idea to give him a couple weeks off to work with this technology and the coaches to figure some things out.

Shouldn’t this have been done during the winter and spring training.

Make Davis a guinea pig for testing out analytics and new technology. Get some ROI from his contract. 

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Shouldn’t this have been done during the winter and spring training.

Make Davis a guinea pig for testing out analytics and new technology. Get some ROI from his contract. 

I don't really get this take. Previously there was no data, no Edgertronic. At least it's there now. Elias was hired in November, Sig a couple weeks later. Hyde even later. They just barely got ST together in time.

The cameras they did use in ST were pointed at the pitchers like they should have been. You have to give it all some time. We don't really know the specifics of what's going on anyway, we're just speculating. They may already have Edgertronic data on Davis and they're just getting more. Who knows? 

I'm glad it's been phased in though. 

Just now, interloper said:

I don't really get this take. Previously there was no data, no Edgertronic. At least it's there now. The cameras they did use in ST were pointed at the pitchers like they should have been. You have to give it all some time. We don't really know the specifics of what's going on anyway, we're just speculating. They may already have Edgertronic data on Davis and they're just getting more. Who knows? 

I'm glad it's been phased in though. 

I’m speculating and maybe they weren’t ready earlier, but this sure beats Buck playing Davis everyday and waiting for him to get better.