Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

After striking out 11 times in his first 21 PA, Davis has only struck out 5 times in his last 22 PA.    So while his overall 37.2% K rate is still terrible, he’s cleaned things up considerably the last week or so.

There are actually 12 players in MLB with at least 30 PA who have a higher K rate than Davis right now.   Unfortunately, Richie Martin is one of them (5th, at 42.1%).

I posted it earlier and I'd have to check it again due to the small sample but it's something worth tracking: his barrel %, launch angle, and exit velocity are all the best its been since around 2015 or so.

• Upvote 1

Just now, interloper said:

I posted it earlier and I'd have to check it again, due to the small sample but it's something worth tracking: his barrel %, launch angle, and exit velocity are all the best its been since around 2015 or so.

Which is great but his K rate is also much higher, which is going to mitigate all of that.

I'm glad he had a great game but he's still done.

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

It will be interesting to see how the team supports him if he goes into another prolonged hitless streak at some point. I can't see there being another celebratory outburst of cheer when he breaks another long 0-fer.

Let’s hope there aren’t any.    Last year, outside of his season-ending streak, he had an 0 for 21 in mid-May.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Which is great but his K rate is also much higher, which is going to mitigate all of that.

Yeah, just thought it was interesting and worthy of tracking. 

At this point, if we're not releasing him anytime soon, it will interesting seeing what changes, if any, he goes through as Elias/Sig combine powers to figure him out. If they can salvage him at all it will be an accomplishment for the ages.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

31% in 2015 compared to 37% right now.    He was also around 37% in 2017-18.    

I’m pretty sure (99%) he’s done as well, but I’m still rooting for him to prove me wrong.     That would be an amazing story, even if he never rose above mediocrity.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the active roster expanding to 26 next season, it will become a little easier to hide him. I expect he will start most games this year, back up Mountcastle next year, and be released as the team becomes more competitive in 2021, with $46 million remaining on his contract. 

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

With the active roster expanding to 26 next season, it will become a little easier to hide him. I expect he will start most games this year, back up Mountcastle next year, and be released as the team becomes more competitive in 2021, with $46 million remaining on his contract. 

Cool, I didn’t know that was official yet. Way past overdue with the development of specialization to pitching staffs. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets bumped up to 27 in the next ten years. Another idea I’ve thought about is you have a 27 man roster, but the last spot is flex only. On game day you have 26 players available to use, but you can swap a player from the 27th spot to to the active roster after each game.

Sort of like the NFL, but there would only be one inactive player a game. And sending down the 27th player to the minor league system would count as an option. 

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Don't be so sure. I can see us carrying an extra arm with that spot.

Just now, Frobby said:

Not allowed to carry more than 13 pitchers.  

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. Is there a reason for that? Teams' pens having been taking a beating all around baseball to start the season.