Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

38 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He has a 7:1 strikeout to walk ratio in AAA.  Literally worse than Chris Davis' K:BB ratio in the majors.  And in the old days an .831 in Norfolk was a big thing.  With the new ball this year it's 100 points behind Chance Sisco and almost 200 behind DJ Stewart.

He still has a few things to work on.

If you have a minute I'd love to get your input in this thread:

There was a lot of back and forth yesterday about Mountcastle and i'd be curious to see whose side you more align with.

4 hours ago, leapinghorsered said:

If he refuses to retire in order to collect what's left on that huge contract,  i  would make him earn every penny of it. I'd play him every inning of every game. He is blocking no one and the team has at least two, probably three more seasons of being horrible. It doesn't matter if he plays or not. If he wants his money, he plays. I would think he'd get sick of embarrassing himself at some point. 

That is an interesting idea, I had not thought of it from that angle. If warming the bench doesn't make Davis think about retiring, playing him in every game while he hits .150 might.  That would be humiliating letting his team down every night especially if they batted him cleanup and he left tons of runners on base.

On the other hand that would pretty much guarantee the Orioles would lose more than 120 games and break the 1962 Mets modern record for losses.  I don't want to see that happen and playing Davis is not a way to  maximize chances to achieve victory which is what the manager is responsible for. 

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He has a 7:1 strikeout to walk ratio in AAA.  Literally worse than Chris Davis' K:BB ratio in the majors.  And in the old days an .831 in Norfolk was a big thing.  With the new ball this year it's 100 points behind Chance Sisco and almost 200 behind DJ Stewart.

He still has a few things to work on.

Lets see he is 4th in OPS of players who have played for Norfolk this year. Only DJ Stewart, Sisco and Trumbo have higher OPS.  Of the top 14 OPS players on Norfolk 13 have played in the MLB.

Wilkerson and Satander both have lower OPS than Mountcastle and both are on the Orioles roster right now.  Satander's OPS was over 100 points lower than Mountcastle's.  

He is ready.  

24 minutes ago, atomic said:

Lets see he is 4th in OPS of players who have played for Norfolk this year. Only DJ Stewart, Sisco and Trumbo have higher OPS.  Of the top 14 OPS players on Norfolk 13 have played in the MLB.

Wilkerson and Satander both have lower OPS than Mountcastle and both are on the Orioles roster right now.  Satander's OPS was over 100 points lower than Mountcastle's.  

He is ready.  

Most of the guys at Norfolk are older, most have more experience at AAA and the majors.  None or almost none of them have a 7:1 K:BB ratio.  And almost none of them have good odds of being on the 2022 Orioles.  

There is no reason to rush Mountcastle.  September is probably okay.  But he'll likely be back at AAA for at least part of next year.  Mountcastle's AAA performance to date is probably a .700 OPS in the majors- the International League OPS is almost .800, and the average AAA guy is not a major leaguer.  A fair amount of growth is necessary for Mountcastle to be a productive major leaguer at LF/1B/DH.

• Thanks 1

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-chris-davis-bobby-bonilla-20190701-story.html

I'm sorry but this kind of contract shows what is wrong with MLB.  Things were better before free agency started and these ridiculous contracts.  I am reluctant to even go to a game to help pay for this type of contract.  It may be worth shutting the game down for a year or two for the owners to attain a new collective bargaining agreement.  One that includes a hard salary cap and other measures that would help restore some sanity. 

"The Orioles will pay Davis $3.5 million on each July 1 from 2023 to 2032 and $1.4 million on each July 1 from 2033 to 2037. Davis will be 51 on July 1, 2037, "

Edited by Maverick Hiker

2 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-chris-davis-bobby-bonilla-20190701-story.html

I'm sorry but this kind of contract shows what is wrong with MLB.  Things were better before free agency started and these ridiculous contracts.  I am reluctant to even go to a game to help pay for this type of contract.  It may be worth shutting the game down for a year or two for the owners to attain a new contract that includes a hard salary cap and other measures that would help restore some sanity. 

"The Orioles will pay Davis $3.5 million on each July 1 from 2023 to 2032 and $1.4 million on each July 1 from 2033 to 2037. Davis will be 51 on July 1, 2037, "

Yep, those billionaire owners need higher profits.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep, those billionaire owners need higher profits.

And those uppity ballplayers could use a hefty dose of good, old-fashioned pre-FA fiscal discipline too. Show me one ballplayer who was ever exploited by a team owner in the golden age of pro baseball before free agency.  Owners had class in those days.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maverick Hiker said:

I'm sorry but this kind of contract shows what is wrong with MLB.  Things were better before free agency started and these ridiculous contracts.  I am reluctant to even go to a game to help pay for this type of contract.  It may be worth shutting the game down for a year or two for the owners to attain a new collective bargaining agreement.  One that includes a hard salary cap and other measures that would help restore some sanity. 

I was under the impression that the NFL has a hard cap, and also players who make more than any Major Leaguer by quite a bit.

The best way to keep a $10B industry from paying its employees as much as 42% of revenues would be to starve it.  We should all boycott MLB.  That'll show 'em. 

Even if you really believe that the world is better off with ballplayers making 5%, 10% (?) of revenues.  We're never going back there.  MLB players pull in a smaller percentage of revenues than any other major US sport.  If anything the next CBA will see that go up.  I'll pay to watch good baseball players.  I'd be less inclined to pay $30 a ticket to see the Angelos boys lighting cigars with $100 bills.

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I was under the impression that the NFL has a hard cap, and also players who make more than any Major Leaguer by quite a bit.

The best way to keep a $10B industry from paying its employees as much as 42% of revenues would be to starve it.  We should all boycott MLB.  That'll show 'em. 

Even if you really believe that the world is better off with ballplayers making 5%, 10% (?) of revenues.  We're never going back there.  MLB players pull in a smaller percentage of revenues than any other major US sport.  If anything the next CBA will see that go up.  I'll pay to watch good baseball players.  I'd be less inclined to pay $30 a ticket to see the Angelos boys lighting cigars with $100 bills.

NFL players have shorter careers than MLB players on average, and the danger of injury in the NFL is much greater. Also the average NFL player makes about 75% of the average MLB player's salary,.  

I am old enough to recall the days before free agency started. The game was fine then and in many ways better than today. Teams stayed together and players didn't expect contracts for millions of dollars per year for years after they retired.  You may have no problem with your ticket money going to pay Chris Davis 1.4 million when he's 50 but I  do.  Yes I'd rather my money go to Angelos to build the team rather,  than to pay Chris Davis far more than what he deserves. 

Edited by Maverick Hiker

3 hours ago, 24fps said:

And those uppity ballplayers could use a hefty dose of good, old-fashioned pre-FA fiscal discipline too. Show me one ballplayer who was ever exploited by a team owner in the golden age of pro baseball before free agency.  Owners had class in those days.

So did players. Al Kaline once refused part of his salary because he had a bad year. Today's millionaire players would never think of doing that. The owners should be able to put clauses into contract such as if you hit .160 like Davis is doing then the owner has the right to void the rest of the contract or buy it out for 25% value. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

So did players. Al Kaline once refused part of his salary because he had a bad year. Today's millionaire players would never think of doing that. The owners should be able to put clauses into contract such as if you hit .160 like Davis is doing then the owner has the right to void the rest of the contract or buy it out for 25% value. 

That defeats the whole point of a 7 year contract.  If you thought you would play well every year you would just do single year contracts.