Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

His 1,283 career strikeouts are only 22 behind Cal Ripken Jr. for the most in club history. Ripken played 21 seasons with the Orioles. Davis is in his eighth season

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/06/orioles-lineup-doesnt-include-davis.html

The most strikeouts Cal had in a season was 97 in his 1983 MVP year with 726 PAs and an OPS+ of 144 (https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/ripkeca01.shtml ).  Davis has blown past that 97 strikeout mark in 6 of his 8 seasons here, including 4 where he more than doubled Cal.   In his Orioles career, Davis has strikeouts every 3.09 PAs, compared to 9.87 for Cal.

43 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Funny Buck is sitting Davis now that a few blogs have come out. Is he or is he not going to get PA's going forward? A few days off isnt going to do much. 

Look at how the Deadspin tweet is phrased.  I don't think that's by accident.  They're placing the responsibility for acting on the Orioles and I'm not sure they're wrong.

19 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I can't imagine the MLBPA being too happy and approving Davis to accept a contract buyout.  That is the one thing the MLB players have going for them- fully guaranteed contracts, and I do not see them changing that.  

Davis would have to retire, and then it would still probably cause the MLBPA to form an investigation and could hurt Davis' future in any MLB-related role would he desire one.  Even upon retirement, any money he agreed to defer would still be due to him I believe.  And I'm going to be brutally honest, self-respect or not, that's $100 million-plus still left on the table.  Davis would be foolish to retire and not force a release.  His children's children's children could be set for life if that money is managed appropriately.  A person can't just walk away from that. 

Davis and his kids are already "set for life", I suppose, depending on what type of lifestyle they want to lead.  There's no fortune that can't be squandered. 

The MLBPA can't do anything about Davis retiring and leaving money on the table.