Spring Training in Sarasota

BamaOsFan

If anyone is on the fence about heading down, you owe it to yourself to head that way. The wife & I have gone 5 out the last 6 years and we would rather be in that climate & environment over a trip to Baltimore. It's such a nice, laid back & enjoyable adventure and the whole area is simply fantastic. We stay on Siesta Key Island (the Village area), which has some of the best beaches in the U.S. and nice places to eat & drink.

In the past 6 years MLB spring Training in that area has flourished, which is great, but the downfall is ticket prices have moved up a bit. Still, (other than the Yankees - usually sold out), you can almost always find a good seat and hopefully some shaded areas.

We have met others from the Maryland area and have become friends with many. We now plan our trips together to rendezvous in Sarasota and plan out the week.

Roll Tide & Go O's!

Went last year and had a blast. Heading down for 1 day this year, but will definitely be back for a full week next year. 

I'll also repeat something I said before: If you get a chance, go check out a Minor League game (or games) at their complex. Free admission, bring your own food. You can watch 2 or 3 games at once and are literally sitting in the stands with future players (sat next to Hunter Harvey, Ryan Mountcastle, and Alex Wells in a few trips last year, along with being surrounded by several others.)

It was a great experience.

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Went last year and had a blast. Heading down for 1 day this year, but will definitely be back for a full week next year. 

I'll also repeat something I said before: If you get a chance, go check out a Minor League game (or games) at their complex. Free admission, bring your own food. You can watch 2 or 3 games at once and are literally sitting in the stands with future players (sat next to Hunter Harvey, Ryan Mountcastle, and Alex Wells in a few trips last year, along with being surrounded by several others.)

It was a great experience.

Cool! Did you learn anything from them (or they from you)? ?

25 minutes ago, now said:

Cool! Did you learn anything from them (or they from you)? ?

Haha nah. I didn't talk with them. They were all sitting in groups of teammates and they just came and sat down next to me and my wife. I didn't want to be "THAT guy."

Though Alex Wells did yell "heads up!" when a foul ball from another game came over and was about to land near us. 

Met Chris Clare's grandparents. They were very nice and liked the fact we knew their grandson and had some good words about him.

This will be our 5th year traveling from Portland, OR to Spring Training.  It never disappoints.  We stay in Bradenton Beach on Anna Maria Island which is a little less crowded than Lido Beach.

This year we flew to Pittsburgh for a funeral and we are driving down tomorrow from there.  We will catch a few college games (South Carolina, Florida) on the way down as my 10 year old is a baseball nut.  

Stupid question but where and when are the minor league games?  Is there a schedule online?  I’m sure my son would love to check out former Beaver Cadyn Grenier.

42 minutes ago, OregonBird said:

Stupid question but where and when are the minor league games?  Is there a schedule online?  I’m sure my son would love to check out former Beaver Cadyn Grenier.

The minor league games are at Twin Lakes Park, off Clark Road ( Route 72) a little east of Interstate 75.    

We stayed in Bradenton Beach last year, and liked it very much.  

2 hours ago, OregonBird said:

This will be our 5th year traveling from Portland, OR to Spring Training.  It never disappoints.  We stay in Bradenton Beach on Anna Maria Island which is a little less crowded than Lido Beach.

This year we flew to Pittsburgh for a funeral and we are driving down tomorrow from there.  We will catch a few college games (South Carolina, Florida) on the way down as my 10 year old is a baseball nut.  

Minor League games don't start until mid March. Sometimes the schedule is posted online about which teams are playing.

• 3 weeks later...

First time heading to Sarasota with the family. Any tips? In Arizona you could go walk around the complexes and just watch them practice. The minor league games start next Wednesday and was thinking about just going to watch the Minor Leaguers practice on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks in advance for the suggestions. 

2 hours ago, pasadena said:

First time heading to Sarasota with the family. Any tips? In Arizona you could go walk around the complexes and just watch them practice. The minor league games start next Wednesday and was thinking about just going to watch the Minor Leaguers practice on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks in advance for the suggestions. 

It's the same way at Twin Lakes for the most part. I just posted the roster at http://www.orioleshangout.com/2019/03/04/2019-orioles-minor-league-spring-roster-and-schedule/

Heading across the state from 3/17-22. We have tickets for Yanks, Twins and Sawx. It’s been several years for us, so really looking forward to the trip. It’s the first time I can remember that our older boy doesn’t have a baseball commitment. Our little man, a 7 year old lefty, turns 8 on St. Paddy’s Day. So it’s Spring Break and a birthday trip. Staying at the Lido Beach Resort for the first time. 

Archived