Manny signs with Padres

weams

1 minute ago, atomic said:

It was $50 million less.  I am not sure how you are going toconvince him to  play in a bad area of Chicago over playing in San Diego when there is a $50 million dollar difference. 

I would be willing to give up money, to play in the warmer climate of San Diego. :)

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the Diamondbacks going into rebuild mode and the Giants down, I think the Padres see this as the time to strike. Im not sood on the Rockies, and the Dodgers always seem to beat themselves. They have the best farm system in baseball. They have probably a 5 year window to win before Manny and Hosmer decline and arbitration forces them to trade off guys. Good for them going for it.

44 minutes ago, esmd said:

Honestly, I don't know how he's kept it as long as he has.  A team in a market like Chicago, with the resources they have, in the division they play in, to be bottom feeders....really it's just inexcusable.

I really don't understand why the Mets and White Sox let themselves be second fiddle to their crosstown counterparts. It's entirely self-inflicted. The Angels aren't as big as the Dodgers, but they try and usually are Top 10 in attendance.

1 hour ago, Plutarch said:

Not making any kind of economic or political statement with the following.  Not that he shouldn't take everything he can get but I just found it interesting.

median household income in the United States In 2018 is $62,175

Manny makes as much in an hour as the medial family makes in a  year.  

Sure, if you think the actual time spent playing regular season games is the only time he’s working.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sure, if you think the actual time spent playing regular season games is the only time he’s working.   

It's amazing how good these players are these days without stretching, warming up, batting practice, video dissection, and offseason training.  The real breakthrough was instaneous travel to eleminate cross country flights.

39 minutes ago, atomic said:

The people that made those decisions for the Orioles are gone.  Paying $50 million more than that next highest bidder is not a wise move. 

I don’t see this as paying $50 mm more, it’s guaranteeing $50 mm more.   The White Sox could have ended up paying $50 mm more than the Padres will, and for the first 8 years, would have been paying more on an annual basis.   

35 minutes ago, atomic said:

It was $50 million less.  I am not sure how you are going toconvince him to  play in a bad area of Chicago over playing in San Diego when there is a $50 million dollar difference. 

But what about what was being reported about the total valuation of the whitesox offer reaching 350mill which exceeds the total value of the Padres offer. Its a tough sell and probably impossible  to sell as being an overall better deal especially when every single dollar of the 300mill is gauranteed and not a penny is deferred with the Padres contract. That would have to be one heck of a sell on the whitesox part.

45 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

It's amazing how good these players are these days without stretching, warming up, batting practice, video dissection, and offseason training.  The real breakthrough was instaneous travel to eleminate cross country flights.

Makes you wonder why Markakis came out this offseason saying he took less money because he plays a children’s game for a living.

https://twitter.com/dobrienatl/status/1087880626198466560?s=21

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t see this as paying $50 mm more, it’s guaranteeing $50 mm more.   The White Sox could have ended up paying $50 mm more than the Padres will, and for the first 8 years, would have been paying more on an annual basis.   

Perhaps.  It has been reported that the Padres deal includes no deferred money.  Are we sure that the same would have been true for the White Sox deal?

1 hour ago, Dark Helmet said:

They have probably a 5 year window to win before Manny and Hosmer decline and arbitration forces them to trade off guys. Good for them going for it.

It's hard to tell if Hosmer is in decline, or it's just him being not good every other year.  For the life of me I don't get that contract.  Go down to your local Home Depot parking lot and there are three first basemen with a 110 OPS+.

1 hour ago, theocean said:

I really don't understand why the Mets and White Sox let themselves be second fiddle to their crosstown counterparts. It's entirely self-inflicted. The Angels aren't as big as the Dodgers, but they try and usually are Top 10 in attendance.

In a word - ownership.  The Wilpons are hurting for money after the Bernie Madoff deal, or at least were for a while.  But you're right, in that market, they should have been able to recover relatively quickly, although I suspect any profits the Mets make is being directed to refill the personnel coffers of the Wilpon family.  They took a pretty big hit to their worth from what I recall.

And the White Sox have Reinsdorf, who has plenty of money I believe, as he also owns the Bulls....but, I dunno.  Cheap?  Don't have enough knowledge to really say, other than there's really no good reason they shouldn't be right there with the other big market teams like NYY, Boston, LA, etc.

1 hour ago, theocean said:

The Mets certainly don't help themselves, but can you really expect them to pass the Yanks?  The Yanks had like 20 titles before the Mets existed.  The Giants and Dodgers tried to run with the Yanks for 40 years then gave up and left.

The White Sox have always been the second team in Chicago.  The team known as the Cubs (formerly the White Stockings, yea, confusing) were one of the top teams of the 19th century and were well established many years before the AL was founded.  Then the Sox didn't really win much from 1920-2000, while playing in a meh stadium compared to Wrigley.

45 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Perhaps.  It has been reported that the Padres deal includes no deferred money.  Are we sure that the same would have been true for the White Sox deal?

I doubt we will ever hear any more details of the ChiSox deal beyond what has been reported already.   Bottom line, Manny took the bird in the hand instead of the two in the bush.    And he can make a pretty awesome meal out of that bird.   

Archived