Will the Orioles ever to be able to compete with the big markets like San Diego and Colorado??

TradeAngelos

19 hours ago, TradeAngelos said:

Would you like me to provide you with the "facts" of how this organization, outside of ONE lone contract in Davis, hasn't signed a significant free agent of note in the last 20 years? How they just let a generational talent walk out the door to....San Diego?? I have the spreadsheet if you want to see it, quite the record of the Orioles "spending money". Yeah the payroll "blew up" for a year or two when a bunch of players just happened to come up for arb at same time and we really had no choice but to keep them without a full on fan revolt. We like to ignore those "other" 15 years before that don't we? Also it is cute that everyone ignores the sea change after 2006 when we started owning another teams TV revenue and claim that we are this middling little small market franchise just scraping up pennies to get by. I guess the 4th largest combined TV markets and us getting flooded with most of the revenue just aint worth much these days. We all know the big money comes from ticket sales in MLB, not TV. Keep hope alive Moose, and watch those (cheap) kids out there this season. Might as well get used to it. 

You're 100% right.  The Orioles are doomed.  I guess we can turn our attention from the hopeless state of the franchise to when and where they're going to relocate.  Austin?  Back to St. Louis?  Vegas?  I kind of like the idea of Vancouver, maybe that'll break up the Jays' strangehold on the Canadian market.  And will it be after 2019 or 2020?  Will OPACY become a museum, or be repurposed as a concert venue?  Or maybe just left to deterioriate and crumble away as a kind of artistic impression of Peter Angelos' hubris?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, atomic said:

Why are the Orioles so leveraged?  Angelos got the team cheap.  They pay next to nothing for rent on the stadium.  

I think the post was using the term “leveraged” in a different way than you’re using it.   He’s talking about the ratio of payroll to revenue.    Nothing to do with team debt and equity, which is how the term “leverage” is normally used.    

Padres have the consensus number one minor league system.  

Number.  

One.

It is the perfect time for them to open their wallets.

Orioles farm is still in the bottom third, even after our "hauls" at last year's trading deadline.  

The Orioles also lost 115 games last season with Machado on the roster for a majority of the season, and were way out of contention in 2017 with a full season of Manny.  

We need to build up a pool of elite minor league talent.  It takes an entire roster of 25 to make the playoffs, not a few pricey free agents.  

If the Orioles still are refusing to add free agents in 2021 if several prospects are knocking on the door and/or young players are thriving in the majors,  complain about it then.  

Heck, if you want Machado back so badly, we can always sign him if he takes the opt out in 2023.  By then the franchise will hopefully be at a healthier state and have real pieces to support him.  Had we signed Machado to the same deal the Padres gave him, we might if we're lucky be contending for a playoff spot in Year 4 of the deal -- with only two seasons remaining before his opt-out.  It would essentially be a 2/150 deal in that scenario, because we're very unlikely to contend in the next three years, Manny or no Manny.  

8 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

Padres have the consensus number one minor league system.  

Number.  

One.

It is the perfect time for them to open their wallets.

Orioles farm is still in the bottom third, even after our "hauls" at last year's trading deadline.  

The Orioles also lost 115 games last season with Machado on the roster for a majority of the season, and were way out of contention in 2017 with a full season of Manny.  

We need to build up a pool of elite minor league talent.  It takes an entire roster of 25 to make the playoffs, not a few pricey free agents.  

If the Orioles still are refusing to add free agents in 2021 if several prospects are knocking on the door and/or young players are thriving in the majors,  complain about it then.  

Heck, if you want Machado back so badly, we can always sign him if he takes the opt out in 2023.  By then the franchise will hopefully be at a healthier state and have real pieces to support him.  Had we signed Machado to the same deal the Padres gave him, we might if we're lucky be contending for a playoff spot in Year 4 of the deal -- with only two seasons remaining before his opt-out.  It would essentially be a 2/150 deal in that scenario, because we're very unlikely to contend in the next three years, Manny or no Manny.  

Great post.

I don't know if some people are being intentionally obtuse when it comes to spending or if they really feel that the only way to win is to spend money.  

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You're 100% right.  The Orioles are doomed.  I guess we can turn our attention from the hopeless state of the franchise to when and where they're going to relocate.  Austin?  Back to St. Louis?  Vegas?  I kind of like the idea of Vancouver, maybe that'll break up the Jays' strangehold on the Canadian market.  And will it be after 2019 or 2020?  Will OPACY become a museum, or be repurposed as a concert venue?  Or maybe just left to deterioriate and crumble away as a kind of artistic impression of Peter Angelos' hubris?

Repurposed as a concert venue.  It'd be pretty awesome.

15 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

Why are you even trying to go here? We do not know what the team will do for 2021.

IMO, I think they will, just no reason for the team this year to waste money on free agents.

Even if we signed Manny, Harper, Corbin, AND Grandal this offseason, we still would finish behind the Yanks and Red Sox and might not even finish 3rd in the AL East.  Would have the 4th highest payroll in baseball and still probably wouldn't reach .500.  Would still have a mediocre-at-best rotation, severe lack of infield depth, below average bullpen, logjam of bad options at first base, and a bad outfield defense (Harper was AWFUL last year in the outfield).  Not to mention I am probably underselling the price tag because we'd probably have to significantly outbid the teams that did sign those guys (especially Corbin!).  

On 2/26/2019 at 8:55 PM, baltfan said:

We are saving for Trout ?

I mean, what if and a big what if by some miracle we are ready to compete in 2021, should we attempt to go after him? We would have a minimal payroll at that point, or will people give the excuse of he is not worth it. Not that I think he would want to come here, I think he stays in LA or goes to Philly. 

I find it interesting that when Manny came up, hell probably before he came up, there was a segment of people who openly said if he's anywhere near as good as advertised the Orioles won't resign him, we know they won't, so we're just going to sit back and enjoy the 6-7 years that we've got him and flip him for a haul.  Now all of a sudden some of those same people are lamenting that we didn't resign him, the paradox is stunning.

28 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

I find it interesting that when Manny came up, hell probably before he came up, there was a segment of people who openly said if he's anywhere near as good as advertised the Orioles won't resign him, we know they won't, so we're just going to sit back and enjoy the 6-7 years that we've got him and flip him for a haul.  Now all of a sudden some of those same people are lamenting that we didn't resign him, the paradox is stunning.

I guess you’d have to compare the opinions of specific posters then and now.    For me, I was always an advocate for locking up Manny early.    Here’s a thread I started back in June 2015 suggesting 11/$231 mm for Manny for 2016-26.    69% were unconditionally in favor, while another 13% wanted to wait to see if he stayed healthy that season.   

Archived